We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8:15 flight out of STT

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
8:15 flight out of STT

Taking the 6am Red Hook Ferry from Cruz Bay, is there enough time to catch an 8:15 flight out of STT? We are returning our rental car the day before, so that won't be an issue in the morning.

Also, any suggestions on things we can do in advance to make things go more quickly that morning at the airport?

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

What day are you returning on Friday? Cutting it a little too close I have seen it done but if the loads are high you may not make it. Good rule is to allow an hour and 15 minutes from Cruz bay to the airport.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

It will be on a Wednesday...June 2nd.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

IMHO you can't make an 8:15 am flight if you take the 6AM ferry. The only way you're going to make it is to take a private water taxi leaving about 5:15 or 5:30 AM and then be met be a private taxi to the airport. BUTif you have no luggage and have your boarding passes printed and your customs forms already filled out and arrange for a private taxi from Red Hook you MIGHT be able to make it but all the planets have to align.

I wouldn't do it myself.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

We will be traveling with just carry-on luggage, so that will help a bit with time (and with paying for checked bags!).

You mentioned customs forms...will we be filling out customs forms to just fly from STT back to Chicago?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

I would hire a private taxi. If you are not there an hour before your flight, they will not let you on the flight. They are very strict on that, in my experience.

That would be way too close for me. I would spend the night on STT.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

Customs Forms ---- Yes you will need to have your forms filled out, you can get them when you arrive if you go over to the airline desk ans ask, but leaving STT you will go through US Customs and US Immigration at the STT airport after checking in and before TSA no matter what your destination later.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

I would risk the old 8:35am AA flight but I won't try anything before that time with checked luggage. The 6am ferry will have you to the airport around 7am - 7:20am. I have stopped at the Courthouse on the way to the airport and there is always one stop in Frenchtown as one of the ladies that works there lives on STJ and I always am in the taxi with her and traffic, at times, has been horrible and slow. BUT having said that, with carry on only, having pre checked in and a Customs form filled out I, personally, on a Wednesday would probably try it -but no way would I with checked luggage.

Pia

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

I always pick up the customs forms at the airline desk when I arrive in STT. You can also pick them up at the customs office in St. John if you forget to get them at the airport. I always have them all filled out before I arrive at the airport. It saves you a little time.

9. Re: 8:15 flight out of STT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 06:18