We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greaaattttt! :(

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
791 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Greaaattttt! :(

Just check many different weather sites.

They all calling for rain and thunderstorms next Saturday and Sunday, April 10th and 11th. There goes 2 of our 5 days there. I'm so bummed. :( :( :( I'm going to watch the forecasts like a hawk and hope they change.

Anyone ever have a day in St. John that was completely rained out?

Edited: 02 April 2010, 15:34
United States
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

If you have a weather site that can accurately predict the weather 7 - 10 days in advance in the caribbean other than rain in some places and sunny in others, I would like a link.

No worries, don't obsess with the predictions. They will always call for at least some chance of rain every day. If you really, really, really need to have an idea of what type of weather to expect you should wait until only days before your trip and then expect that there is a 60% chance that the prediction is incorrect.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
791 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

Thanks Toes. I'm so bummed right now. Weather Underground is saying 95% chance of rain and drizzle on Saturday and 60% chance of drizzle and thunderstorms on Sunday. That's a TOTAL BUMMER and I'm really freaked out right now because if that's true, then the water will probably be churned up on Monday from the storms. Yes, I'm going to my dark place mentally. LOL

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

You can be in Cruz Bay and it is pouring and then drive out to Salt Pond and the sun is shining.

There is really no need to worry about the unknown and even worse to worry about the unknown which you can not control.

Stop watching the forecast, it will only stress you out. There is nothing that you can do to change it, so owrry about what bathing suits to pack and get ready for vacation.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

6 visits so far over 20 years (wish I could afford it every year), full week or more each time- NEVER had a full day washout. And guess what, each quickie shower is followed by a rainbow- no kidding, makes the quick wet worth it! Yes, we've had a couple of overnights with quite a bit of rain that chopped up the waters the next day but there' s so much else to do that you'll be fine!

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
791 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

I live in Colorado and it's been a cold winter. The ONLY thing I want is sun-shine and crystal clear water. I don't care about the food. I don't care about the service. I don't care about the bugs. I don't care about anything but sunshine and crystal clear water. :)

Somebody...please...hold me.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

DEEP BREATH, YOU WILL BE OK, YOU WILL BE OK, YOU WILL BE OK. YOU WILL BE BETTER THAN OK BECAUSE YOU WILL BE IN PARADISE. DO NOT BE BUMMED OUT. Start with a drink with tons of rum while you wait for the ferry at Red Hook, get a little drunk, then once you see Cruz Bay, you will know what we all mean when we tell you that a little rain won't bother you at all. It sure isn't cold Colorado or cold Massachusetts for sure! Think of it this way, no rain means no vegetation and if you wanted a desert, you should be planning a trip to the Sahara. But you chose a tropical paradise so every little rain drop means gorgeous flowering trees and bushes that you will love along with water for the cisterns so you can stay hydrated. If you change your mind and don't want to go, I happen to be free next weekend so send me your ticket and I'll gladly take your place. LOL

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
791 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

LOL Thanks Karr. I think I'll keep my plane ticket.

I'm so worried, I even called Delta to see about leaving 2 days early, but they want $1000, per person, to change my ticket. YIKES! Looks like my dates are set. LOL

I can't help it. I'm watching 3 different weather sites and will continue to do so until I leave. My OCD is showing. :)

Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

It will be so fun to hear about how great your trip was when you come home!!! I'll bet you have such a great time and once you hit that island all your worries will just melt away!!!

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

We've been four times and no wash out days for us. This last trip 3/24-3/31 there was about an hour of rain on Sat morning and again or a few minutes in the very early afternoon. We used it to our advantage. Slowed up going to the beach but left as the rain was letting up and was able to get a parking spot at Jumbie, a pretty small beach with very limited parking. While I never want rain on vacation, especially this year coming from the Northeast, once you are there you will appreciate the need for rain in STJ. There are no reservoirs and very limited sources of water. If it does rain for more than an hour, besides Scrabble and drinking, there is more drinking, shopping and reading. The rain will stop, the sun will come out (sometimes before the rain stops producing gorgeous rainbows) and all will be well.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greaaattttt! :(

Please check out www.weathercarib.com for a local forecast - the general weather sites are usually lumping PR and VI together and that is not an accurate POP for us.

It is a serious weather front and easily identified that would be a total rainout and obvious to any forecaster but hardly likely that it would be 7 days away and predictable.