We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Beach and Pool at Westin

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point, CA
9 posts
Save Topic
Using Beach and Pool at Westin

Are non-guests allowed to go to the beach at the Westin? How about the pool? Also, is there parking there for non-guests? Our 9 year old gets to a point where she needs some other kids to play with. We thought we might go to the Westin one day during our trip in July. But we don't want to do anything that isn't allowed. Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

As far as I know, management does welcome non-guests to use the facilities and, of course, spend money while doing so.

I checked into this several months ago as we had kids in our group. From what I remember, Westin will issue a day pass but I would suggest contacting the resort directly in case I was misinformed or misunderstood.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

Westin guests pay a mandatory $40 extra a day to use all of the "free" stuff. As far as I know, only guests are allowed to use the water toys and pool. The beach, like almost all beaches in St. John are open the public. I agree with the 1 posters, best to call ahead and see.

Edited: 06 April 2010, 17:55
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

Plan on spending Sunday on the beach at Maho or Hawksnest. You will find tons of locals there with their kids and she will have tons of people to play with.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

You should check with the Westin directly. It is my understanding that they do not allow non-guests to use the facilities for free.

Hawksnest is kind of the unofficial kid beach for a lot of the locals. Saturday and Sunday are the best days. What part of July will you be here for? St. John has carnival that ends on the 4th. They have a "kids" village set up with games and prizes in the later afternoon (5pm or so). This is set up near the National Park Visitor's Center the week leading up to the 4th. There is also a playground there that kids go to any time of the year. Late afternoon is a good time to try (after the sun isn't so hot!)

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

Our granddaughter usually found someone to play with at every beach that we went to last June. We actually never made to Hawksnest but she found playmates at Frances, Maho, and Jumbie.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

I have stayed at the Westin.

First off - the beach is terrible there, compared to the North shore beaches.

(it does have a trampoline, and climbing floatation thing - young kids would like this).

The pool is great, but no one is checking room keys. So if you walk in like you own it, go for it. Take a taxi there and just walk through the lobby down the hill to the pool - there is a lot of foot traffic there.

go to Maho, trunk, hawksnest etc... for beach days.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

As far as the Westin pool checking room numbers against names.... sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. You tend to see it more when the pool gets busy and their aren't many chairs to go around. I was there with a couple other people once when they were asking and my friend had a room number and name (of someone else) but I was mortified! So I just don't go unless I am with people actually staying there. It's pretty easy to pick out the non guest because they don't have Westin towels (which you need to hand in a card to get).

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

Drive in, park in back around to the right by tennis courts. Walk in like you own the place, snag an abandoned towel by the pool or beach and have a good day - pay cash for drinks. Or, sign up for the time share tour and get paid $100 or so for 2-3 hours and spend the rest of the day there as a guest of the Westin. That said, I don't think you're going to experience a lot of interaction with kids of other guests there, at least in 3 trips there I haven't seen a lot of that.

9. Re: Using Beach and Pool at Westin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 05:16