We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

OK, in another post I talked about "cheap" ways to do St. John. Finally having discovered VRBO plus other suggestions, we are torn between two choices.

1) Sail View - http://www.sailviewstjohn.com

2) Russ' Coral Bay Cottage (not its name, but no real name I can find). http://www.vrbo.com/139712

They are both beautiful and inviting. They are both exerting a strong pull on us, but for slightly different reasons. They both have many OTT fabulous reviews. They are just about the same price for a week in January.

So - does anyone have experience or knowledge with one or the other (or best - BOTH) and maybe give us some differentiators?

I know I shouldn't stress about an island vacation (kind of against the idea, right) - and I know we'll be happy in either place, but any insights or comments you have would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dithering Dragon

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Love, love, love Sailview - Mike and Eileen are wonderful and they keep an immaculate property. Sailview is more centrally located just off Centerline Road (just before "the triangle" in Coral Bay) than Russ' which is a good 10 to 15 mins from the "triangle" and therefore 20 to 25 mins or so (vs 10 mins) to the beaches on the north shore if that is important to you.

Hope this helps

Pia

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Pia,

Thanks for your post. Location is a consideration. Of course, in paradise what's an extra 15 minutes? :-) Do you personally know Russ' property? Nice? Clean?

To further complicate things, we just got an email from Ernest and Donna Matthias of Little Lagoon in Johns Folly and they also have occupancy. Their place looks very nice too! Any knowledge about them? They are 100 yards from the lagoon - is that nice swimming there? (Clear water, etc)

Thanks!!!

-Still Dithering Dragon

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Don't know anything about the other 2, but I can personally vouch for Sailview, having stayed there in April with plans to return in Feb.

Very clean, Very nice. You can't go wrong with Mike and Eileen.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

I too can recommend SailView. I stayed there in December, and we'll be returning this coming December. And I've done "inexpensive STJ", so I know a bit about good value. I've stayed at Concordia, Maho & Cinnamon Bay, but SailView is our new go-to STJ accommodation.

The property is super clean and comfortable, well located, and has some nice amenities like the outdoor kitchen, coolers and beach chairs.

Enjoy your trip!

GottaDance

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Russ' is only a double size bed so Sailview's queen trumps the double plus it has AC so it trumps the John's Folly cottage too.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Although I haven't stayed in any of these places, as I mentioned before, Sailview has a GREAT reputation--having said that, Donna and Ernest Mathias are wonderful people-- and I love their location on John's Folly. Ernest is a St. Johnian and an outstanding citizen,and his family has been in John's Folly for generations, so you would get a perspective that really isn't available anywhere else, at any price, on the island. The bay is quite swimable and the house always has great breeze.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
640 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

We need to stop the search and make a decision LOL......but we've just located one more possibility, http://www.vrbo.com/98477

"Slice of Life" Suite in Coral Bay - we got an email back from John Fitzgerald and this place is available for $1000 a week.....its so hard.

I was worried that we couldn't afford to stay on St John, but there are so many choices and all of the people seem so friendly.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

Sailview is still the only one with AC

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

We did notice that. How important is AC? We're hear about cooling breezes, etc. Is that just marketing hype or can most people do without AC in January?

Thanks,

dragon

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! Trying to choose: Sail View and Russ's Coral Bay

People have lived here for centuries without having A/C - it is not a marketing hype that we have a breeze - it does depend on location and orientation.