We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rolling cooler

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rolling cooler

I have seen several people mention bringing a soft sided rolling cooler on the plane. I have one, but I think it would be too big. Can you tell me the size of yours and possibly where you got it?

Debbie

Edited: 22 June 2010, 16:34
Mt.Laurel,NJ
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: rolling cooler

Debbie-

If you go to any/most sporting goods stores, or even target, or K Mart, you can find one.

We've been bringing one on vaca for years. Just freeze everything, throw it in the cooler,(some people wrap the items in newspaper), and check it onto the plane.

Ours is a relatively average size, I guess; roughly a foot & a half deep,2 feet long, and @ a foot and a half wide. It's like a small version of a duffel bag.

It's great. Check it in/on the plane, unload the goodies at the villa upon arrival,use it for the beach if you need to, then fold it up and smush it into another checked bag on the way home, or fill it with any souvenirs you might have picked up on the vaca.

If you have a friend in the liquor industry,ask for a free one. Also check out local liquor stores for them.

Hope I helped-

Smiles-

MJ

Fredericksburg VA
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rolling cooler

how long are your flights. ours next week is probably close to 12hrs-with layover-checkin at airport etc.

do you guys put dry ice in it? I mean if everything is frozen and its all together then it should be ok.

last time we went things were so expensive on st john-gallon of milk like 10$ and I heard later it was probably just powdered milk

Tennessee
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: rolling cooler

I bought our rolling cooler at Walmart. It's size is (19x13.5x9.5) and airlines carry on size is 45in. (22x14x9). I wpapped up all of the meat in newspaper and everything stayed frozen for 14 plus hrs. Had no problem checking at all. Saved alot of money and would do it again. Hope this helps.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rolling cooler

I got mine at Costco. The airlines will not let you take dry ice. In May, we checked ours to Abaco at 10 AM one morning. American lost our luggage and did not deliver the cooler until 6 PM the next day so about 34 hours from when I packed it. I had steaks, pork tenderloin and chicken breasts frozen with three of the "blue ice" packs in it with everything wrapped in a towel. Everything was still frozen.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rolling cooler

Do most people who do this check the cooler or carry it onto the plane with you? We're going to STJ with a cottage in January and thinking of doing this.

Thanks!

-dragon

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rolling cooler

We have done both and I prefer to carry it on. If you pack smartly, you can get quite a lot into a carry on sized cooler.

I freeze the cooler the night before, pack it very tightly with layers of newspaper and don't open it, unless security does.

That being said, we are heading down in December and we are not bringing a cooler. You really can get everything you need on island, it just costs a little more

7. Re: rolling cooler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:16