We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

Are these two beaches both near or in Hawksnest? If so, can you hike to both beaches with one parking location? I read that there is very limited parking for Gibney beach ... do the 5 slots fill early? Is it marked on the road? How will we know where to stop alongside the road. I'm looking for great maps if anyone can recommend one, I'd be most appreciative.

I fell in love with St. John on my first visit several years ago. However, I've only had cruise ship one day stops there. I talked my girlfriends into staying in St. Thomas for a week.... and I'm just so hungry to explore St. John by foot and by fin. We will be renting a vehicle in St. Thomas for the week so I'm guessing it's easiest to bring it to St. John since I want to see Gibney, Honeymoon, Cinnamon Bay and of course I have to snorkel at Watermelon Cay. So much to see..... so little time.

To all of you locals, any help in planning an adventurous day in St. John (or two or three) is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Hawksnest Beach
Hawksnest Beach
532 Reviews
St. John
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cinnamon Bay
Cinnamon Bay
289 Reviews
St. John
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

Why stay on St Thomas if you want to send 2 or 3 days going to St John? Why not stay on STJ? My first two trips to STJ were girl's vacations. We had a great time. But we decided to invite our hubby's and kids because we love STJ so much and had to share. I've been going since 1990 (91?) almost every year and sometimes more than once a year. Sometimes girl's vaca, sometimes friends &/or family. Already have next trip planned.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

You can't really park and hike to all of these beaches.

If you want to got to Honeymoon, the easiest way is to park at Caneel Bay (pay the $10 fee) and follow the trail.

Hawksnest os the first National Park beach you will see with a large parking lot.

Gibney is a little further on the North Shore Road on the left. There is a wrought iron gate on the left side of the road with a few parking spots to the left of the gate. DO NOT BLOCK the gate, park to the left. If you get there early you shouldn't have a problem. When you get to the water you may think that there is no beach but if you walk to the left, it will open up.

There are 2 cottages that have beach chairs, they are private. Just continue on a bit further.

The other option is to park at Hawksnest and snorkle around the rocks to the right and that will bring you to Gibney.

That is a lot to do in one day, so I am assuming that you will want more than one day.

If you only have one day, I would go all the way out to Waterlemon (lemon, not melon) and then stop at Cinnamon and Hawksnest on the way back; Gibney is there is parking.

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Hawksnest Beach
Hawksnest Beach
532 Reviews
St. John
Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

Thanks for the advice. What I don't want to do is ruin my friend's day by planning too much. I'm just so excited to not have a cruise ship deadline to get back to. More than likely we will want more than one day on the island that has me so fascinated that I would like to spend months there exploring the trails.

I appreciate your help! Are there good maps that show you where to park, etc?

Lisa

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

Bluewater43 -The reason we are staying on St. Thomas was that I found reasonable rates for a condo rental ON Sapphire Beach. We love to be "on the water." I wasn't able to find a place in St. John that we could afford that was literally "on the sandy beach." The other reason is that I'm only one of four of us so I don't get complete decision making rights. I'm just thrilled I was able to talk everyone into St. Thomas as opposed to Mexico this year!!

Two of the women have never been to St. Thomas, let alone, St. John. I'm hoping they will be as "taken" as I was on my first visit.

Tinkerbelldee- Thanks for the info. Parking at Waterlemon or is it a hike to the beach from somewhere to park?

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,631 Reviews
St. Thomas
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

I highly recommend that you get a copy of St John off the Beaten Path or Feet Fins and 4WD.

I think you can get them both at www.caribmart.com theyhave super fast shipping.

If you don't want to buy a book, you can check out this site

stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches/beach_home.html

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

If you are wanting to park at Gibney, driving from Cruz Bay you will pass Hawksnest parking, then a white picket fence and then look for the wrought iron gate on the left. Park there. Be considerate of others when parking and make sure you are off the roadway.

You can park at Hawksnest and hike or swim to Gibney. The road between Hawksnest parking and GIbney is narrow, curvy and little or no shoulder to walk on. You can get to Gibney by swimming or snorkeling past the rocks on the right side of Hawksnest. If the surf is calm you could use a float to move stuff like towels and such from Hawksnest to Gibney.

Honeymoon is too far for me to consider hiking to from Hawksnest parking lot. As tinkerbelldee suggested, you can park at Caneel for $10 and hike 10 minutes to Honeymoon on flat ground. You can also park in Cruz Bay and hike the Lind Point Trail to Honeymoon but I would never make it past Salomon Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Hawksnest Beach
Hawksnest Beach
532 Reviews
St. John
Salomon Beach
Salomon Beach
178 Reviews
St. John
United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

To do Waterlemon, park at Annaberg ruins. It is a hike to Waterlemon cay. My guess is that it is about 3/4 mile to the beach and another 1/8 mile to the entry to snorkel the cay. The walk is along the water so it is flat but there are some parts of the trail that are narrow and sometimes muddy if it has rained.

If you are looking for nice beaches with parking, try Francis. Snorkel to the right or if you just want to sit and swim, go to the left side and you will find a neat little beach that you might get all to yourself around the rocks to the left between Francis and Maho.

Mentioned in this post
Waterlemon Cay
Waterlemon Cay
866 Reviews
St. John
Maho Beach
Maho Beach
1,662 Reviews
St. John
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
306 posts
462 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

Here's a website that lists all the trails. You can send him something like $2.00 to get a hard copy to take with you. I found this really helpful! http://www.trailbandit.org/bandit.htm

9. Re: Honeymoon Beach & Gibney Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 07:17