We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok to wear wedding rings?

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Ok to wear wedding rings?

Hello! My husband and I are headed to St. John for our first visit this weekend and I was curious if it is safe to wear our wedding rings?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

I'm just wondering why you think it wouldn't be? Are you afraid they might get stolen? Did you mean during a specific activity like snorkeling or swimming? It might be wise to remove it then, but I wouldn't hesitate to wear them otherwise. I don't travel without my wedding set and a few other key pieces of jewelry, especially to St John, as I have some custom pieces that have been made on island, and also by my husband(he's a jeweler), like a large gold palm tree with champagne diamond coconuts that's perfect for wearing out to dinner

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Do you plan on being faithful on your trip? ;-)

If so, no reason to see why wearing them would be unsafe.

Are you afraid you will lose them in the water or something? New bands are usually a bit loose fitting until you "grow" into them. Taking them off while snorkeling or taping over them with waterproof medical tape of duct tape is an option.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Yes, unless you are afraid of losing them while swimming or snorkeling. I have always wore mine. No worries!!!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Thanks for responding so quickly! I was curious because I have seen post about safety issues on the island, and people often recommend not wearing jewelry.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Minority here! I have a pair of travel wedding bands we wear. They are not the ones from our ceremony, so if they are lost forever I can buy a new pair, no worries. My feeling is, if I loose or misplace it I only have the length of my vacation to search for it and then all is lost. (no fun! limited time.) There are some places I have been that are unsafe to wear jewelery and such, but I don't get that impression from St John - I will find out soon enough! ;o)

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Well if you have a 5 ct flawless diamond I would leave it at home but if you are talking about a plain band - no problem :)

Pia

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Some people have reported that barracuda are attracted to shiny things and are concerned that a ring might bring one closer than they'd like. I've always snorkeled with my ring on. I've been around barracuda, but never noticed one eyeing my ring.

If you have other kinds of concerns about the safety of your rings, please mention them.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

I guess my initial concern was due to the "safety" issues that some people have mentioned on the forum. I was just curious what the norm is. I also am a little hesitant also because I have heard that barracudas could be attracted to the rings.... just a small thing I've been pondering. Thank you all for your quick and honest responses. I can't wait to get there!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

Have a great trip! Hope you love the island as much as we do!

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ok to wear wedding rings?

I personally think that the story about barracudas being attracted to jewelry is only a story. I wear all my jewelry on STJ without hesitation. (Not so on other islands where I have wear some costume jewerly instead.) I have heard stories of (mostly men) who loose their rings while snorkling. I'm not sure if these guys were newly-weds or not. My rings fit tighter while I'm in STJ I assume it's from my hands swelling because of the heat.

Pia's probably right about the 5 ct flawless diamond but believe me if I had a 5 ct flawless diamond I'd wear it regardless of the barracudas or bandits no matter where I went and anyone who tried to get it from me would have to cut if off my dead finger :-).