We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Topic
Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

I see people complaining about car rental mishaps on here sometimes, so when someone treats me right I feel the need to share. Prior to coming to St. John I had arranged a rental car (Mitsu Montero) with Varlack Ventures, and a couple of days before they informed me that the vehicle would not be available (I think it may have been in the shop). Instead of canceling my reservation and leaving me in the lurch they offered to rent me a Jeep Liberty and a Wrangler for the same price. The cars were ready to go (and in good condition) when we got there (8/10), and the price stayed the same as discussed. Thanks Varlack for smoothing out a potential bump in my vacation plans!

BTW my group had a blast and thanks to everyone who regularly comments on the boards. I only had to lurk for a while in the forums to fill out a list of things to do in a week. Best breakfast went to the Donkey Diner; Best Lunch to Skinny Legs (Miss Vie's was closed, dammit); Best dinner in a landslide to Plancha Del Mar (make a reservation, they have very limited seating and we saw a large party get turned away, also get the brownie-waffle dessert). Snorkeling was great at Waterlemon as was kayaking/snorkeling out to Whistling Cay. Trunk turned out to be a good lazy day at the beach type place, and it is definitely worth the trip over the rocks to get to Little Hawksnest (we had it all to ourselves). Not a big fan of the petroglyphs even though the upper waterfall (take the steep trail to the left near the glyphs) was pretty cool. We stayed at Mar de Amores, and it had pretty much everything we needed for the week with a nice view of the ocean to boot. I would definitely consider coming back to St. John.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

Thanks for the post! I love to see when people to remember to post about their positive experiences with specific businesses on island.

And the brownie waffle dessert at La Plancha del Mar....YUM! I often make a special trip just for that. I'm not a dessert person, but this one will draw me out of the house :-) La Plancha del Mar is going to be moving to a new location this fall. They are going to be in the old Paradiso spot (Mongoose Junction) hopefully by mid November. Lots more room there!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

Great to hear a good STJ car rental story for once! I will keep them in mind for the next trip as the one we have used for years sort of turned wacky on us last trip.

charlotte, north...
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

I also was impressed with my car rental experience at Varlack Ventures. The car was new and clean. The staff was professional and friendly. Would use again.

Hampden...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

We went to St John last year and are planning to return next February. Our experience with Varlack was positive after our reservation was fixed, as they had no record of our reservation when we arrived. They were able to come up with a vehicle and were more than accommodating from that time on. At one point they let us use a staff car when we could not get gas until the next day and we would have been stranded in Cruz Bay, while we were staying near Salt Pond. I guess it all made for more of an adventure and we will use Varlack again.

Illinois
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

Have had good experiences w renting from Varlack as well.

Glad you liked Donkey Diner. Have been there many times for a great & reasonably priced breakfast. We tend to chow down there before a Ram's Head hike. Their pizza is very good too, lunch or dinner.

Too bad Vi's was closed : (

Thanks for reporting; helpful info!

I hope you are able to return to STJ ; when Vi's is open & then you can snorkel at nearby Haulover

6. Re: Varlack Car Rental & Tiny Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 16:15