We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sosci
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Looking to fellow forumites for opinions on “Where to go next (Caribbean) ” ?

Looking for something new!

Love STJ but for business reasons we are unable to go (regretfully) this February to escape the winter cold & doldrums. Criteria/ preferences: Relatively lower crime rates, Into nature, kayaking, definitely snorkeling, beautiful vistas . Nightlife & restaurants unimportant. Not picky about lodging, rustic is OK., prefer “un-stuffy” environment. Already done: Keys, Dominica, Aruba, Outer Family-Bahmaian Isalnds, Tortola, St. Martin, D.R. , P.R.,

Here are our thoughts BUT looking for your opinions/ suggestions PLEASE: Cayman Islands, Trinidad/ Tobago (for Carnival), St. Vincent/ Grenadines, Monsterrat….Others???

If this post is better on the O.T. board just let me know & I’ll ask over there.

Thanks so much all.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

St Croix and Grand Cayman get my vote. STX is cheaper. Lusher & mountains like STJ. GC is pretty much flat but beautiful. Not as dry as Aruba. Water is clear & calm (mostly) for both. Plenty of things to do on both.

Do you plan to rent a car? When do you plan to travel & what is your budget?

sosci
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Thanks for reply. Yes, we always rent a car. Travel period is around 3rd week February 2011.

ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Going out on the limb here, but my suggestion is Bonaire. We are repeat visitors for the last 22 years. Yes, petty crime has made the news, but we still feel that it is worth the trip. Funny thing is, we are traveling to St, John next month for our first trip there.

In Bonaire it is really simple to just drive to a site and you are on a reef.

Hiking can be done in the park at the end of the island and kayaking is available with snorkeling at the other end.

While dining is not important to you, there are many great options available. The people are great and honestly, Bonaire, like apparently St. John, gets in your blood and you can't imagine not going back.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Tobago is like the STJ of Trindad - lovely! Trinidad is a big and industrialized country - no comparison.

Bonaire has spectacular snorkeling and is a nature paradise but drier and flatter than STJ.

You might want to check out Mayreau - a small wonderland smack in the middle of the Grenadines with many short boat trips to numerous unbelievable snorkeling sites and beaches.

Northeast
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Anse Chastanet St. Lucia?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Roatan, Honduras or Belize would be my choices.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

I went to Grand Cayman last year and St. John this year. Loved them both. I would recommend Grand Cayman if you won't be going to St. John. Northern 7 Mile Beach has some very nice condos that are not stuffy, and right on the beach. The north end of 7 Mile Beach is much quieter, yet only a 5 - 10 minute drive to some great restaurants. It's very easy to get around in Grand Cayman by car, the island is very flat. Check out the Grand Cayman forums. Crime has increased in the past few years, but i think it is just another effect of the economy and still is much lower than other islands.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

Belize or St Croix would be my choices, also a friend of mine used to go to Bonaire every year and it seems to fit your criteria.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

I forgot - Virgin Gorda would also be perfect.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If not STJ, where to next? Help needed from TA friends

I agree with Max, Roatan or Belize.

But I have to ask.....why not STJ again? :)