We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Topic
Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

I read about this beach on another forum dated 3 years ago. It's the beach on the east side just outside the bay. Has anyone snorkeled here? Looks promising if the wind is down. If so, did you access it via a path just past the last house? On the post it stated there was a path thru parkland. Can't see one on Google Earth. Probably overrun? I'm renting a place just a little ways above the marina.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

Are you talking about Fish Bay St John? I'm confused because we do not have a marina

Pia

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

Yes. Don't know if that's an official name or what.

Edited: 01 November 2010, 01:45
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

I read about this as well because we are staying in Fish bay also read that on the rare occasion it is calm you can snorkle Cocoloba cay. I think the Marina is just a dock at the end of Marina Drive for the Fish Bay homeowners not a true marina. The trail Bandit guide map only shows the short trail leading down to the Parrot Bay section of Reef Bay , Cocoloba cay is to the west of that on the map or right if you are facing the ocean after taking the trail. Can't tell if you can reach cocoloba headland from this point or if you would be blocked by rocks?

United States
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

I have walked the road above Cocoloba point and have walked the beach to it's most western point. You will not be able to easily get to Cocoloba point from the east. The beach trail ends well before you start around the point. Water entry theres not one that I would attempt. The closest I have gotten to Cocoloba point is form the Fish Bay access. We had to walk the narrow beach to get there and the wind made it dangerous for entry. I have never been there when the wind was calm enough for snorkeling.

I think the OP reference to Marina is Marina drive. It is on Fish Bay.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

The area around Cocoloba (note "a" on end, not "o"), is generally fairly rough, and it's very difficult to access the water over the very shallow reef. The snorkeling isn't too great even if you did manage it.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

If you're staying in the Fish Bay area you might check it out if the water/weather is okay. I wouldn't bother if not because there are so-oo-oo many places to snorkel which may be easier to access and have better snorkeling. Rule of thumb though, snorkeling is best in areas with rocks.

United States
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

While I agree that visibility is better in areas with rocks, I will note that the best sightings I have had have been in grassy areas. That includes turtles and the closest I have ever been to an eagle ray was in the grassy areas of Fish Bay. It does cause an uneasy feeling to be in the grass because your view of what is around you is limited.

8. Re: Cocolobo Beach; Fish Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 07:37