We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John vs T&C

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
St John vs T&C

On our 3rd trip to the Carribean and trying to decide where to go - October. Went to Grand Cayman for our 10th anniv., St John for our 15th and now deciding about our 20th destination. We LOVED St John but wonder if we shouldn't try another island since we only make it down about every 5 years. Looking for nice beaches, great snorkeling, great restaurants, and sight seeing options where we can head out on our own or take a day excursion. We aren't too concerned about nightlife. Any insight on T&C or other options would be great. Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St John vs T&C

I've been to both. We rented a villa in Leeward on Providenciales, which was lovely. Acacia Villa. Provo is very flat & scrubby, they have brought in quite a few palms and such around the hotels that flank Grace Bay so it seems kind of tropical. We liked it there, great weather, nice people, good restaurants. It's no match for St johns beauty for sure. Shore snorkeling is mediocre but the water and beaches are beautiful, flat & long. I also think the "vibe" is completely different, no where near as laid back, some good beach bars but alot of what I would call "high maintenance" people :). I don't think you'd be disappointed with T&C but it is definitely different than STJ .

Have you given any thought to the BVI's, Bequia or St Croix?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St John vs T&C

The Virgin Islands win!! The Bahamas, Provo, GC all have nice, long beaches with beautiful water, but are flat without the topology, vegetation, and overall natural, pristine beauty. Base out of St John, but take some day trips this time to check out some nearby British VI's, such as Jost Van Dyke, Tortola, or Virgin Gorda.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St John vs T&C

St. John and T&C are two of my favorite islands. Grace Bay beach is exceptional..long, wide, white and the sand is like baby powder. The water is amazing...super clear and a beautiful turquoise color. There is a reef very close to the beach at Coral Gardens for shore snorkeling. But the best snorkeling can be found further out so a day trip with Caicos Dream Tours is a must. Provo is definitely not as lush, hilly and picturesque as St. John but the beauty there is in the beach and water. It is very easy to get around the island and is a short flight from the US. Restaurants are comparable on both islands IMO.

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St John vs T&C

This has been a popular question on this forum these past few weeks; I think this is the third time someone has asked this.

We loved Provo. I'm not sure where most folks have done off-shore snorkeling there, but there are two pretty great, large reefs (and the barrier reef in TCI is the third largest in the world after Great Barrier and Meso-American) right off-shore, Smith's and the Bight.

However, TCI really is all about the water- staring at it (the color is unbelievable!), being in it, and going out on a boat (at least once per trip!) to snorkel and visit other cays. That's part of the essential TCI experience, IMO, just like (it sounds) like driving all around STJ and exploring the different beaches is there. Next week will be our first trip to STJ, and I can't wait to do that exploring.

We love Provo, and are planning another trip there this coming June. Lots of people on the TCI forum love STJ, even though they're different.

Perhaps, next week, after visiting STJ, I'll be able to pick a favorite. I think that it's okay to love and visit more than one island. And believe me, we love Provo so much that it almost hurt to "risk" going somewhere else... but enough people recommended it that we're excited to try it!

Good luck with whatever you choose. I'll guess that wherever you go is a quite a bit more fun than being at home and going to work! : )

Oh, wait, a couple more thoughts- great dining on Provo, from fine to casual, local places. (And we are foodies) And it's very easy to navigate because it's flat and it's not congested with cars. So easy to jump in the car, drive to another beach. Car rentals are cheaper, too. Grace Bay Car Rentals (very highly recommended) are $39/day for a Corolla. Very few spots on Provo require 4wd. Many beautiful resorts and villas. Good luck with whatever you decide... let us know! : )

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St John vs T&C

Definitely let me know what you think after your trip. We are now looking at St. Lucia as well as it's topography is quite unique although I'm a little worried about begin stuck at one hotel without the ease of traveling around the island that St John has. thanks for the info on Provo!

6. Re: St John vs T&C

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 13:18