We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of parking tickets!

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
337 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of parking tickets!

Got a very pricey $75 parking ticket on my first day in St John after I followed the lead of others and parked by the side of the road at jumbie beach. One person looked like a local so I figured it was okay.... Not!! Unless you can park your vehicle by the road with your tires completely off the pavement, don't do it. Also, outside some of the parking lots along the road are signs clearly stating there is no parking. Not so for Jumbie and some others. My advise is to get where you are going early and get a parking space in the lot.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

Thanks for the heads up. They have gotten really strict in the past couple of weeks. They are also handing out a lot of speeding tickets, so go slow. It's the National Park that is dishing out the tickets in the park. Also noticed quite of bit of ticket writing in town as well by the VIPD. No more creative parking! (for now anyhow ;-)

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

January 29th we were rushing to return the rental car, so hubby dropped me off with the luggage by the ferry dock. The traffic officer in the intersection, gave my husband a scolding for not wearing his seat belt, while traffic bulit up behind him. No ticket thank goodness.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

Seat Belt usage is very strictly enforced. He is very lucky he didn't get a ticket.

Syracuse
Level Contributor
499 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

We were on island a few weeks ago. An officer was giving out tickets by Cinnamon Bay. The parking lot was full so people were parked across the street. Then I saw him walking along the beach.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

Since I sw ticketed vehicles parked roadside at Gibney (the three/four spaces were full); I assumed that roadside parking was taboo. Put it in a slot or keep looking became our motto.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

Virgin islands National Park has been so under-staffed on enforcement in recent years, people have forgotten that it is a National Park, not un-policed recreation area.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
337 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

You need to wear a seatbelt but you see people sitting in the beds of pickup trucks and babies in mothers laps ...hmmmm?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

Stateside visitors seem to demand stateside rules - until they are enforced -- we have lost much of the island feel here because of the un-needed expectations that things be 'like they are at home'.

9. Re: Beware of parking tickets!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 05:32