We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

My husband and I hiked rams head yesterday and were followed by a small, young female dog all the way to the top. She appeared to be a stray that lived on the beach. We have tried to convince ourselves that she has an owner - who lets her wonder during the day. Our flight leaves for home today and our hearts wonder if we made the wrong decision by not "saving" her. If anyone knows anything about this little girl please please send me a message.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

If you don't get an answer here, I would recommend calling the STJ Animal Care Center. Tell them exactly what you told us. They may be aware of the animal already and if not, they may be able to send someone out to look for it.

You are a good person to think of the animals!

MA
Level Contributor
740 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

Wow! That is a tough one, being the dog lover that I am. Thank you for trying to assist this animal...I hope that you are able to find at some information and keep us posted.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

I just got off the phone at the st.john animal care center and they said that the only way they can investigate if she is a stray is if she is brought to their shelter. They WILL NOT go out to salt pond to get her, she needs to be brought to them. My heart is just breaking that we didn't bring her over there and now im back in wisconsin. I told the woman I would adopt the dog if she is a stray but how in the world am I suppose to bring the dog over to the shelter if i am in wisconsin. :(

any suggestions? Anyone know any dog lovers who would leash up a stray and bring her to the st. john care shelter....

Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

We can commiserate.....we adopted a dog in Puerto Rico during our last surf vacation there a month ago. There's a huge stray dog problem there, long story, but basically the dog (a puppy) was abandoned and living on the beach. She followed a local couple back to their condo a few times, and they brought her to the local dog adoption agency. .....these people ended up "fostering" the dog until someone could be found to adopt it from the agency......that lasted a week until my wife met them on the beach and two days later the PR puppy was with us on the plane back....the rest is history, the dang thing owns our house now!

So we're up in NH, it's been ridiculously cold this past month and we've had 50" of snow in the last three weeks. Not sure if the dog thinks she got a good deal??? :) Beach in PR is sounding real good right about now!

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

I have not heard of or seen this dog at Salt Pond before,so I'd guess she was either 1) a dog from that neighborhood, or, 2) a dog that had gotten lost while chasing a deer. Since the deer population on island has exploded in the last few years, dogs of all shapes and sizes have discovered a new sport--unfortunately it may take them miles from home. Luckily, the island is small enough that dogs and owners are usually reunited in a few days. If the dog remains there, the Park Ranger from Lameshur will take it to the Animal Care Center.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

We just saw the dog yesterday. Seemed like a stray to me. No collar.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
703 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

What a great story it would be if someone were kind enough to go check and see if the dog is still there; bring her back and let you know andyou could make arrangements to adopt her. You read these heartwarming stories about soldiers bringing dogs into the U.S.

I hope this has a happy ending. If I were on STJ right now, I would help you out! Good luck.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

Any local who is reading this: my husband and I are really hoping to adopt this dog is she is a stray and according to the st.john animal care center this can only happen if someone brings her to the center. We will pay 100 dollars to anyone who can do this. We will wire the money. Please is there anyone out there willing to do this or know anyone who could help?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

I would contact Cheryl at The Tourist Trap and see if she has any suggestions. They are out by Salt Pond and she is a big animal lover, can;t hurt!

MA
Level Contributor
740 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only a local could answer this... help me feel better

#4 Get your beachdog fix. Throw the ball for Cora at the Beach Bar, or go for a hike with the little dog at Saltpond Beach. But don't worry, these dogs do have owners (and a great life). "I just copied this from the post 10 resons to go to STJ." You might want to contact OP and ask what he/she knows about the dog at saltpond.