We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend a day at Jost Van Dyke via the ferry

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend a day at Jost Van Dyke via the ferry

What is the best way to spend the day at Jost van Dyke. We will be coming by ferry and leaving the same day at # PM. I am reading about going to White Bay first- then Great bay. What are the best beach bars and restaurants? Is Little Bay worth going to?

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend a day at Jost Van Dyke via the ferry

We went to Jost van Dyke via the ferry a couple of years ago. We had painkillers right there at White Bay, then we took a taxi around the corner and rented a dingy. We rode it to Sandy Spit (featured many times in magazine photos) to snorkel. There was only one other couple on the island. They left when we got there. We had brought a picnic lunch. We got scared out of the water by a 6 foot black tip shark! I know! I know! it shouldn't surprise us that sharks are in the water. However, due to the seclusion, we got nervous if something happened we had a bumpy ride back to get help. I want to say it was about 20 minutes by dingy to get there. We also got rained on. Anyway, we are going again in October and this was the highlight of our trip. We will do this again!

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend a day at Jost Van Dyke via the ferry

Usually we do a day charter to Jost but last year we tried the ferry one day just to check it out. That was one of the funnest days we have ever had on Jost. The ferry stops at customs on Tortola and gets to Jost a little under an hour after you leave STJ depending on how many passengers there are. When we got to Jost, one of the taxi drivers told us Foxy's was not yet open. The taxi drivers are very helpful and can give you advice as to where to go for the day. He recommended we go to White Bay first which we did. $5 per person taxi which I thought was cheap. We told him we wanted to be sure to hit to Ivan's so he recommended we hit the bars on the west end by Soggy Dollar then make the rock scramble to Ivan's in the afternoon and he would pick us up there to take us to Great Harbor to spend an hour there before we had to catch the ferry. We came out of Ivan's right on time and there he was waiting for us. We then went to Great Harbor and hung out at Foxy's then walked back to the ferry dock for the trip back to STJ. We would do that same day trip again.

As far as the best beach bars they are all fun. You can call your peeps back in the states and have them watch you on the soggy cam. I am beginning to get the ring game down. Hooked it on each tree at least once. We were having fun ordering something from each bar and just walking the beach in White Bay. You can't go wrong just taking your time and hangin' out.

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Foxy's
Foxy's
650 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
3. Re: How to spend a day at Jost Van Dyke via the ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 11:16