We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STJ verses Harbour Island, Bahamas

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
STJ verses Harbour Island, Bahamas

We just returned from our fourth fantastic trip to STJ. We are thinking about trying a new destination for our summer family vacation. I watched a travel channel show on Harbour Island in the Bahamas... looks beautiful. Has anyone stayed there? How do the beaches compare to STJ? Any suggestions on a resort to stay with a well behaved two year-old? Any other travel destination suggestions... we're beach lovers! Appreciate your feedback.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STJ verses Harbour Island, Bahamas

I haven't veen to Harbor Island itself, and have been waiting for someone else to speak up.

I HAVE chartered a bareboat in the Bahamas before...the Abacos, to be specific, and have also been to Freeport and Nassau. From the show you watched, you know that the Bahamas are coral atolls...meaning flat, scrubby, and with a lot of pine trees. No emerald mountains.

The Bahamas also have LONG stretches of white sand and not so much the pocket beaches you get in STJ.

We found the coral to be in good shape, generally, when we snorkeled. Oddly, it seemed devoid of fish compared to the VI's and locals told us that it was because fishing was such a big deal there.

One weird thing...the sand is so very powdery that we found it tough to walk the length of any long beach because it stuck to our feet and seriously now, it kept getting to be several inches thick and made us feel like we were wearing cement shoes. Exhausting work those walks!

Generally, the food was about the same, and the people and their attitudes towards tourists were about the same as STJ...very conservative lot they are.

One thing we did notice, was the locals' distain for Haitians. Apparently there is some type of an immigration flux, don't know if it is legal or otherwise, and people were talking about them a LOT and we read several articles about the tensions between the two.

We really enjoyed our last trip. BUT, and obviously I'm biased, we always find ourselves wanting to return to sTJ wherever we go. Bahamas are nice, but I doubt I'll go again. Just didn't really do it for us like STJ does. We keep trying other places, but nothing ever compares! Bahamas certainly are easier to get to though, and with a 2 year old, that can certainly make a difference!!

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STJ verses Harbour Island, Bahamas

Hi- I spent my childhood gong to Harbour Island. It is very small. A few "boutique" hotels and private homes. You can walk the

island. Beautiful beaches, but not a lot going on. You would have to take a group with you. It is a gorgeous island, but really for adults who want to have peace and quiet. Just my perspective. It is understated elegance. I went with family and cousins so we had fun, but it is simple.If it rains you are out of luck.

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: STJ verses Harbour Island, Bahamas

thanks tethered! (sorry for my delay in getting back to you...my daughter has been very sick with the croup!) i completely understand the constant pull to return to STJ. We do love it there... it does it for us on every level. I just thought a quick 5 day jaunt someplace different (and easier to get to) would be nice. we've since decided against the bahamas and are back to the drawing board. if my husband gets his way, we'll be back to STJ again trying Bongo Bongo (assuming it's completed by this summer). we'll see...