We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
104 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

Hi. I'm looking for a waterproof bag that we can take with us whenever we are in the water. It needs to be able to be belted around our waist or slipped into pocket of husbands bathing suit.

I found a Dry Pak on Amazon but a review said it was merely spashproof, not waterproof.

We plan to ferry to JVD for a day and will need a way to keep our passports & cash on us while in the water so I'm looking for a dependable option.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks - Satchmoocat

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

Dive shops carry them or you can google, "waterproof dive bags" and you'll come up with a slew of different types and sizes.

The captain on your boat will hold your passports for the duration of your trip so you don't have to worry about those,

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

We have used the OtterBox 2000 series. They have worked well for us. Have a great trip.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

I have used Aquapak waterproof bags for the last 5 years and find them to be very reliable in terms of keeping your valuables dry. However, I only put non electronic items such as money and credit cards in the bag. I wear the bag around my neck when we go in the water. I would not put my camera or cell phone in the bag. But I would not take an expensive cell phone on the beach with me.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

Otterbox for sure.

United States
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

Otterbox makes a nice product but if you want to take it snorkeling with you, you cannot squeeze the air out of it like a bag so it wants to float.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

No matter what you decide, if you are taking the public ferry, you can not leave anything on the boat..

Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

I have this (dry pak DP44)- http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dry+pak+wallet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18168836569191231712&sa=X&ei=p-akTavHDMHw0gGbtfn9CA&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAg#

I have had it completely submerged in water more times than I can count and ive never had a drop of water get inside. Dry pak's are hermetically sealed so you just need to make sure you close it right (hard not to do) and you'll be good to go. $8 on Amazon

8. Re: Looking for a waterproof bag for snorkeling/swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:18