We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes to bring

Rock Hill, SC
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes to bring

What clothes do I need other than bathing suits, cover-ups and sundresses? Can my husband wear shorts in all restaurants or should he bring some slacks? Thanks so much for all of your help!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes to bring

Thats all you need - remember if it doesn't fit in a carry on you won't need it on STJ :)

You can do a search and you should be able to find a link to tinkerbelldee's packing list

Pia

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes to bring

My husband has never brought long pants, but we've never eaten anywhere crazy expensive.

Pia, maybe you could address this, but if you eat at Caneel, would long pants be necessary? I know husband wouldn't even consider long pants in warm weather, but a nice pair of shorts and a nice shirt...that he can handle.

I usually pack a couple nice tops and shorts/skirts. The rrest of my clothes consists of shorts and t shirts and a couple slip on dresses (casual)

Rock Hill, SC
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes to bring

Thanks much! Thought that but wanted to make sure!

Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes to bring

Wow u folks get real dressed up. :)

Typically we live in bathing suits, flip flops, and t-shirts. If we go out to dinner, I put on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt that doesn't smell, and knock the sand off my flip flops and I'm ready to rock and roll!

Edited: 14 April 2011, 01:40
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes to bring

lol surfnh....that's about the way we roll when we get there too.

1/2 of the clothes I bring, I don't wear anyway.

north carolina
Level Contributor
426 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes to bring

I packed my hubby long khakis the last couple of trips but never again. Nice shorts and a golf shirt (or short sleeve oxford) with flip flops will do. We now pack everything in one suitcase. There is usually a washer/dryer at the villas so you can always throw a load in the wash. This is usually a typical day...go out to a beach or on the boat, roll into town around 5:00, put on a coverup or pair of shorts/shirt and find somewhere to eat. It could be the Beach Bar or a nicer restaurant. We never go back to the villa to shower before dinner...so laid back and just go with the flow. This is why you just don't need a lot of clothes.

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes to bring

On the question of long pants for your husband. We usually visit between Thanksgiving and Dec 15th. I wear a pair of khakis on the plane. I have worn them to dinner but he will not be out of place in nice shorts most places. We have not dined at Caneel though.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes to bring

Long Pants and a shirt/polo with a collar for men and simple summer dress/nicer than beachwear for women at Caneel for Dinner at the Equator or Turtle Bay, you can get away with a dressier short by the bar but in general there is an evening dress code at caneel that precludes attire that is too casual,you might feel underdressed with beachy casual and cut off s and beach tees are a no no

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes to bring

If a place requires long pants for men at dinnertime, I don't go there. If it doesn't fit in my carry-on I don't bring it. This is another reason I don't go on cruise ships. Give me a casual island and that IS vacation to me. The only time I've worn long pants on a vacation is in Europe.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothes to bring

This post is helpful. We'll be there for our first time in July for TWO weeks and I was worried about having to pack for 14 days. I suppose I just don't need too much clothes after reading this. I always pack way too much Awesome!