We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription Dive Mask

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
149 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription Dive Mask

Has anyone used a custom prescription mask? if so, where could i get that done-preferably on line. Thanks for any help.

covington ga
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

i'm still using a tabata prescription mask i ordered through a dive shop in 1984 when i began my scuba certification. as i recall, i paid almost 300 for then but i have -4.5 correction and at divemasters suggestion bought a premium custom fit. i wash with fresh water after each use and store in a hard "dry box". i use the dry box to store my glasses and stuff when i remove mask. she's had regular use through years and cost per probably under 50 cents now.

i strongly suggest you not spend money for a prescription mask w/o checking how well it seals with your face. good luck.

papabou

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

I have a prescription mask also and would definately recommend that you go to a dive shop and get fitted for it before you order. You really need to have it fit right or else it will leak and you will be miserable. Also you can talk with the staff about what Rx to put in since there is some magnification with the water. I got +3 put in mine and can see the fish and environment very well (I am far sighted), even though my prescription has changed over the years. I also have a case for mine and it has served me well in many places. I think the brand is SeaVue, but not sure.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rougemont, North...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

my husband ordered one from snorkelcity.com we sent in his regular eyeglass prescription. We received it in a couple of weeks if I remember, he has had it for about 2 years and it works great! When he first put it on he said he wanted to wear the mask instead of his regular eyeglasses they were that good!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

The lenses will be fine if you order online. But if they are inserted in to a mask that is the wrong shape for your face, the mask will leak.

Go to a dive shop and try them on.

B.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

I have a great fitting mask that i like so I am sending it away to have new prescription lenses put in. I think it will work fine. Has anyone had this done?

Sending to a place rec. by my dive shop.

Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

Yes that's what I did, used a shop in Chelmsford as I recall. They took care of the whole thing, I think they sent it out also. No problems, works like a charm.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

I sent my mask out to have prescription lens put in.

Found a company that did a great job!

Prescription Dive Masks, La Mesa, CA. They did a great job and got them back to me several days before expected.

Very good service, and nice helpful folks too.

www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

Thanks for the update. I will remember them if I need an update on my Rx. Happy snorkeling!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription Dive Mask

Funny story... I had a friend with a prescription mask. Broke his regular glasses, and had to wear his mask around driving until he got his glasses replaced! I have had my prescription mask for 20 years now, and even though my prescription has changed plenty since then, it is still great in the water and works just fine. It was well worth the cost!