We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

Hi all,

There is such a shortage of reviews on this villa that I thought I would add one. (I couldn't seem to add it to the vacation rental site?) Towards the end of April, a girlfriend and I ditched the men for a week and stayed here and it was just what we needed. We were blessed with great weather all week with a couple of showers towards the end in the middle of the night.

First, Blue Heaven Rendezvous is very close to Cruz Bay and has a few helpful things along the way, like Candi's BBQ, 3 different food and liquor marts and trash/recycling stops. The road the villa is on is a quiet dead-end and we had to walk down to the 104 road to get wireless (Verizon and Tmobile) which is kind of nice--there is no temptation to check email! The tiny parking spot is exactly the size of a jeep and is difficult to maneuver in and out of--we finally figured out how to incorporate the dead end into the way we got in and out! You park on the road and take the steps down to the villa. The steps are beautiful and the foliage is amazing. There is a switch at the top of the stairs that lights them up in case you come home late. When you go down the main stonework stairs, you can either go around the side of the house to the right down a few more stairs to the third downstairs bedroom or you can go to the left to the front door and kitchen sliding glass door. The front door opens up to the bright airy living room. The chairs/sofa were all comfy and the TV/DVD/CD players all left a little more to be desired. I know that's not why we come to the islands, but late at night I liked to watch TV and we listened to music during the day. The DVD/VCR (yes) play had to be replaced while we were there--we were so tired and late the first night that we just wanted to watch a movie but it didn't work. However, while we were out the next day the management bought a new DVD player and installed it for us, so I thought that was very good service (nice greeter service too).

The living room has great cross breezes when you open all the windows and the two large glass doors out to the deck (all screened). From the living room, you step up to the dining room with another sliding glass door out to the deck. You continue into the kitchen (the house has an open floorplan) from there. The kitchen has a gas stove/oven, a good fridge and plenty of dishes, glasses and cooking supplies. In fact, we brought coffee and spices but found them all in the cabinets left from other guests. We made coffee every morning and sat on the deck enjoying our amazing view. The fan outside was helpful with moving the mosquitoes around (kind of hard to reach--had to straddle an outdoor chair to reach up there!) and our iguana friends lazed around in the trees all around us. The grill was a great asset to have and worked fine--we used it quite a bit for cooking. At night, the hot tub was a great place to enjoy the amazing star view and (waning) full moon on the water. We called the moon-stream the stairway to heaven! Every night we saw at LEAST 2 falling stars!

We stayed in the top two rooms upstairs. When I asked the people we rented from (Viva) about the rooms, we were told that the room downstairs was not air conditioned, but it is. It is a very private room with it's own deck and queen size bed and full bath. If you were staying with three couples, this would be the room I would grab! The ceiling is built separately from the upstairs so if someone was walking around in the kitchen, you wouldn't hear it in the downstairs room. My friend was a little scared to stay upstairs by herself so I said I would stay in the other room. I was kind of bummed because all three rooms were supposed to be made up for us but one room had the king bed and the other room was two twins. Since my friend wanted me to say upstairs I told her I wouldn't stay in the twins so that settled that! I got the master room. The master was large and airy with a king bed and a big bathroom/shower. There are two sliding glass doors that open up to your own deck/view and another window in the bedroom and bathroom. There was plenty of cross-wind in the master but the sliding doors were messed up and I couldn't seem to get either side to completely close. Thus, there was an opening in the room that unfortunately let out AC and let in mosquitoes. The other room was moderately sized and had a good-sized bathroom. My friend was ok with the twin beds and had no problems with the sliding door on her deck. I only heard her while she was in the bathroom and taking a shower or something.

It was really neat to exit the living room and go to the top bedrooms. It is an outside atrium with a stone sidewalk, lizards darting here and there and a wall of foliage/garden to your left. The twin bed room is the first room on the right and the master is at the end of the atrium. It's a very lush, private area and makes you feel so tropical! The doors on the rooms have wooden jalousie windows and lend to the tropical feel of the villa.

We used the laundry room once and there was laundry detergent and dryer sheets available for our use. It's a large and clean room to do your laundry and we were grateful to use it during the week (we sweat alot!). It has it's own entrance around the deck from downstairs bedroom. We looked below the deck to the ground below and it looks like the owners were marking something out in the dirt as a first step to building something or start another garden.

The electricity went out twice while we were there. The first time was in the evening and I even though there were flashlights (and the cabinet in the dining room is full of batteries) it wasn't enough light to cook dinner on the grill/stove. I finally realized that the oil lamps on top of the dining cabinet weren't just for decoration! They were both full of oil and there was extra wick in a kitchen cabinet. They gave us plenty of light and you have water, the grill and the stove to use for cooking so it wasn't too strange--kind of like cabin camping! The second time it went out was during the morning and I could still fry eggs for breakfast.

The place was relatively quiet but we could easily hear noise to the left, below and above us. There were kids next door and their parents left them scream all morning until they thankfully took them to the beach or something (we heard the mom yell at them one morning!). Then, above you (which would be across the street and built up the hill) you can easily hear people talking on their back deck. I mean, we were hearing clear conversations about lunch and whatnot. Sometimes it seemed surreal that you felt so secluded and surrounded by greenery and iguanas and then you could look up to someones deck/living room! Actually, we got a kick out of the fact that the guests there had pretty thick NYC accents-they sounded great (to us Denver people!). There was noise from Fish Bay Road from the trucks but we tuned that out pretty easily. What was more difficult to tune out was the construction taking place every morning on the villa below us that had the kitchen burned down by some previous guests. Also, there was a villa a little closer to the bay that was getting an add-on but it didn't sound as loud as the construction below. But, like we all know, what are you going to do about construction? It is what it is. I just clicked on my AC (white noise) in the morning so I could sleep in and enjoyed the peace and solitude at night on the deck.

Last things: there IS a trunk in the living room with a couple of masks/snorkels/fins to use and that saved us some money--very nice thing to offer guests. Also, there is a dog-eared copy of Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive and a bunch of really cool St. John themed books and CD's to use also. The management team gave us a gallon of water, some coffee, a coke, a V8, some snacks and a small bottle of rum in the fridge as a welcome gift and we refilled water at the water station near Mongoose Junction. Two ladies stopped by on our first morning there to talk to us about the Jehovah Witnesses. Now, I was not expecting that but they were the nicest ladies to talk to!

Overall, the house is very comfortable, clean and since it's not too over the top, it began to feel like home pretty quickly. I like that the price was moderate (compared to other villas in the area) and hands down, you cannot beat that view. In fact, I was watching House Hunters International the other day and the second house the couple looked at was right below Blue Heaven! You could see the villa below (pre-fire and kitchen intact) and the very same bay view. It was cool to describe this to my husband and show him exactly what our view was every morning! Blue Heaven would be great for three couples, a larger group of friends or a family with maybe a teenage kid who appreciates his/her own space downstairs! It was too much space for just my friend and I but for the price, it was still less expensive than the Westin and we didn't have to share a room!

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
561 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

Great information...thanks for sharing!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

Great review.

Did STJ Passion, the house from House Hunters, have the fire?

We stayed there and liked it very much and there is someone asking about that house right now

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

I believe the house that had the kitchen fire in March was Mare Blu-it's right off Fish Bay Road a little past the 104 junction.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

We are considering staying there in the Fall. Would you stay there again? (Family of five)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

I would stay there again if I was a family of five, definitely! It's a very family-friendly home.

6. Re: Blue Heaven Rendezvous-Villa Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2012, 05:18