We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Ferry from St Thomas??

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Which Ferry from St Thomas??

Plane arrives into St Thomas at 3:25PM

Do I catch the Charlotte A Ferry to Cruz bay or the red hook ferry to Cruz bay?

I see that the red hook ferry is less time (20 minutes versus 45 minutes) but is the taxi ride very much more in dollars and minutes?

Does the extra distance in the taxi make up for the extra 25 minutes on the water??

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

The Charlotte Amalie ferry runs on a very limited schedule and at times not at all, especially in the off season.

The Red Hook Ferry runs every hour and while a longer taxi ride, it is a sure thing.

I believe that you said you are traveling in September so I would plan on the Red Hook as the Downtown ferry normally reduces it's limited runs around then, but it is a wait and see type of thing, as the changes in schedule are random.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

Time & cost will be almost the same. As Tinkerbell said, the downtown ferry runs on a limited schedule. You can ask the taxi dispatcher at the airport. He will know.

Seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

I always take the Red Hook ferry myself. Only thing to remember is that if you get a round trip ticket you have to make sure you get on the same ferry because there are actually 3 different ferry company's that run from RedHook to St John and they won't honor a round trip ticket purchased from one of the other operators.

United States
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

I believe that nikkih20s is talking about the car barge ferries. There is only one passenger ferry operating from Red Hook. I don't think you can purchase a round trip on the passenger ferry.

PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

If all the stars are aligned and you actually could choose between the two...I would recommend Charlotte Amalie. We like it better because the ride is nicer and the scenery is beautiful. Another plus is that you don't have to travel nearly as far to catch it. It just makes us feel as though our vacation has already begun.

Seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

ya, was talking about car barge sorry. When we had no car I did take the Redhook passenger ferry though.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

I am with littlecoconut on this one. C. A. if you can make it work! Cab ride to Red Hook is a nightmare of winding roads, versus sipping a beer or rum (which you must bring yourself) on the ferry from C.A. watching the scenery from the water.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 20:39
GreenwoodSC
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

Plan on the 5 o'clock ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay. No way you make the 4.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

You can make the 5 PM Red Hook ferry and be on STJ at 5:20

OR the 5:30 Charlotte Amalie Ferry and arrive at 6:05

As explained the price difference is negligible.

The time spent in the taxi to Red Hook gives you some STT road time and view -- the longer ferry ride from town lets you see the South side if STT by water.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 05:02
New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Ferry from St Thomas??

My daughter gets motion sick, so we decided to skip the harrowing taxi drive to Red Hook and took the CA Ferry our second or third visit. It was much less hurried and much more pleasant -- but she got sea-sick. No winning.

I have read here about a taxi driver that people reserve in advance who can help ease the transition to CA...I can't remember her name...search Saint Thomas Taxi Driver?? If I find it, I'll post a link.