We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Rental

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Rental

Our winter vacation is now in the planning stage. This time it will be a largeish group.

I'd like to solicit any recent experiences with either Francis Bay Estate or Vida del Mar (sp)

We will be 4 couples. The other option we thought of was renting 2 x 2 BR units at either Grande Bay or Gallows. That would be less money to be sure, but we are intrigued with the access to Francis Bay Beach (I've been and have seen the estate house from the outside) and the easy access to beach (albeit rocky and pebbly) and town that Vida del mar affords.

Catered To will be our agency and we figured 2 cars for 8 people. Fares from EWR are cheap right now so we'd like to put this to bed now.

I've been to St John several times and have stayed different times at Caneel and Terrahawk and Kallaloo.

If anyone has something to offer I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Rental

We stayed at Vida del Mer in Dec. 2009 and LOVED it. here is my review. Also, you might contact them through their web site since they gave us a bit of a discount from the Catered To price. Following our getting it set up, I dealt with Catered To and they were a pleasure. I know they have done some more work on the Villa since we were there! We have also stayed at Grande Bay and it is a TOTALLY different experience. Let me know if you have any questions!

***** Review

Our family of 8(4 couples-my partner and I & our 3 children and their partners/significant others)) just stayed at Vida de Mar right on Devers Bay

(http://www.vidademar.com/)

It was all the web site states and more! Right on the water with a rocky beach to swim and snorkel in (after climbing through/over the rocks-bring water shoes to make it easier), a great pool and hot tub, all the amenities you can imagine and beautiful sunsets! You were serenaded by the sound of the water rippling through the rocks on the shore, the birds.... there was a cadre of iguanas hanging out in the bushes and trees by the deck...one of the younger ones would hang out with us on the deck and occasionally take a dip in the pool. The sunsets took our breath away!

There are 5 bedrooms....... a lovely "studio" with outside shower, small kitchen, 2 master suites with great outdoor showers, a beach cottage and a room with 2 twin beds. The BR's are mostly in separate pods which allowed for maximum privacy which my grown children really appreciated!!!!

The kitchen/living room had lots of space, all the equipment we needed, games, DVDs, puzzles,etc.

There was a cooler, snorkel and swim supplies, floats for the pool, more chaise lounges than we needed, hammocks on the beach!

We were welcomed with a lovely basket of goodies including a supply of St John ales. Each bathroom had lovely toiletries!

This is a great villa for 2-10 people!!!

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Rental

Oh, thank you! The review is most helpful.

How and what was your Grande Bay experience?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Rental

I have heard great things about Vida del Mar. In fact I can not remember hearing anything bad about it at all.

The Francis Bay area is special, that is for sure, but it is pretty far out if you plan on spending any time in Cruz Bay for dinner and drinks.

I would love to be that close to the Francis and staying in town has it benefits too, but I think I would pick Vida del Mar. I

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Rental

We've stayed in 2 different units at GB. They were both lovely, but compact and we really enjoyed being in town. The views were wonderful. The pool is nice and the workout room small but adequate. It might be the better option IF you are planning and be away everyday, eating out at nights, having enough adult beverages on your way home to not want to drive!

BUT it won't have a large hangout area, pool, big kitchen and eating area and water access for snorkeling. Our kids went into the water directly from the rocky beach at VDM several times and really enjoyed hanging in the hammocks.

You will have a wonderful time either way!

5. Re: Villa Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:17