We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car

We were set against renting a car due to a incident in Grand Cayman. We had to drive on the left side and were sideswiped but had to pay for the damages. I read that on St. John you also drive on the left? After reading so many posts about needing a car on St. John, we are reconsidering. We aren't going until May but can reserve one now if need be. Can we get it on St. John or do we have to rent on St. Thomas? Who is the best to rent from? There will be six of us. Thanks!

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
923 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car

you can certainly rent on st john--people have their preferences in terms of renting on st thomas (sometimes a better deal and you can grocery shop there for somewht less money) but if you are a small group-- I would say rent on st john-- and DO get a 4 wheel drive vehicle-- cool breeze has always been fine with us--(they sometimes work on island time...so if they don't respond immediately give them a few weeks....) there are several other options on island though--they all will cost about the same--if you aren't going tuntil May of next year thre is no need to get this in line now! 6-8 weeks advance is probably plenty of time --if you want more peace of mind, then a bit further out...if you were going in really hig season i would say you should get it squared away several months in advance....(maybe others will disagree with my advance on this?)

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car

I always reserve when I book the villa. No harm in booking early.

Driving on STJ is easy, only beause the speed limit is so low. You will rarely get above 30.

If you have 6 adults, I would HIGHLY recommend 2 rentals. It is hard to fit 6 adults and beach gear into one vehicle.

3. Re: Renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 15:35
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car

Take it from another Okie from Oklahoma City the driving is really easy on St. John. Stay left and wear a seat belt. For your first visit or driving experience on St. John I would lean towards renting on St. John. I have always rented on St. Thomas but then again that first year was STRESSFULL and a bit of leap of faith to drive to Redhook and figure the system out. It really is easy but I have been doing it for years and every time I take someone new to the islands they are blown away with how we figured out how to do this. If you need any help from another Oklahoman just let me know.

5. Re: Renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:18