We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the mosquitos bad right now?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Are the mosquitos bad right now?

I haven't been paying real close attention to the weather there but it seems to have rained a fair share, we're heading down on Friday, just wondering how bad the mosquitos are right now. Thanks.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

A tropical wave is passing over so the mossies are apt to be quite bad even when the sun breaks out. Be prepared!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

They weren't too bad but in about 7 days they will be worse due to the wave that has dumped quite a lot of rain over the last few days.

Pia

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

Well, that's exactly the answer I wasn't hoping for. Lol. Thanks for the quick responses. We'll make sure we're extra prepared.

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

Just take some Off or other spray and you will be fine. I have seen worse mosquito problems here in Maryland than I did on St. John, and yes it was a week after some heavy rains when we were on the island. No big deal, just have fun!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
708 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

ok - we will also be on STJ in 4 days so what helps the itch when you get bit. I think I bought cortizone lotion but my daughter already has bites from being outside last night. They seem to have a feast on my daughter. In fact, I will have to dig in the suitcase to put something on her tonight but mosquitos or not we are super excited for our first trip.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

we just returned and they were bad but not awful.

My partner is a mosquito/bug magnet and escaped almost unscathed due to the following protocol:

Viatek Mosquito Shield Bands (recommended by someone on the USVI forum) one on each wrist and ankle (ordered from Amazon)

Prophylactic / preventive daily doses of Benadryl

dabbing each bite with Benadryl ointment as soon as possible after each bite

It was the most successful bug trip we've had! :-)

I have NO business interest in either product!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

Byado,

Thanks for the suggestions. It's too late to order anything from amazon and benadryl taken orally knocks us all out. Luckily our last few days will be spent at Caneel and they spray for mosquitos so that should definitely help.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

To relieve the itching if you do get bitten, "AfterBite" works really well and both this and similar products are readily available here at supermarkets and pharmacies.

Edgewater, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

I swear by Viatek mosquito sheild bracelets. They are back in sock at HSN, 12 for $20 and $4 S/H. Well worth it. Laura

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the mosquitos bad right now?

Thanks STT. We are waiting till we get to St John to stock up on bug spray and sunscreen so I'll grab some after bite while I'm at it.