We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

austin,texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

Should we take the taxi or rent jeep at the airport in STT (also need cost & time issues for both). Our flight arrives around 4 p.m. Also would need time to get groceries before car ferry. Is that possible? It's our 1st trip to STJ. Excitement is building, thanks Jungle cowboy

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

Taxi from the airport to Red Hook costs $11 per person plus bags and tip and unless you hire a private taxi which will cost you more you won't be able to stop en rout for shopping:

vinow.com/stthomas/…

Dependable and Amalie both consistently receive excellent reviews and you could check their rates. Actually there are tons of posts on the subject and if you use the search engine you'll find all the info you need to make a decision. Have fun planning!

austin,texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

STTResident, thanks for the info., just hope I can find parking in Cruz Bay. Sounds kind of tricky at best

California
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

If you can't they have a new large public gravel parking lot next to the car ferry. It would be about a 5 minute walk into town or the roundabout.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

Slim man in the middle of Cruz Bay is where we always park. We rent from dependable and tried for years to find parking but now we just give him 5-10 bucks depends on how long we are staying. Keep in mind the lot closes around 11pm so he does ask that you are out of the lot by then but after you get to know him, he or his guys , usually find you a spot and parks it for you. It is secure and easy and if you don't feel comfortable parking in the maze they will for you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

A 4PM arrival is doable for the car ferry, but I would be hesitant to recommend it for a first time visitor. Navigating two islands and getting to the car ferry in time is going to make for some stress. That being said, its how we go after 20+ visits, but we rented on STJ for ten years before making the switch.

Dependable closes at 5, so you'll be out of luck if your plane is late. Amalie is open later and they let you sign your paper work at the airport and get on your way.

Cheers, RickG

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

Hi RickG_USVI

I am heading to St John on Tuesday the 19th and the flight is scheduled to arrive around 4:00 in St Thomas. I am renting a car from Budget and plan on catching the 7:00 pm Love City Ferry. Not looking for any stress so the back up plan is to take the people ferry and come back for the car the next day.

I don't want to have to do that so what is the best route to take to Red Hook?

They suggest Hwy 30 to Hwy 32.

Looking at a map, it looks like Hwy 30 to Hwy 313 to Hwy 38 to Hwy 32 might have less traffic.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Edited: 15 July 2011, 00:47
Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

Here's a link with the directions we followed. They were great! Amalie rental gave us an easy map as well, and pointed out the Food Center to buy groceries.

Don't buy a round trip ferry ticket, because if you don't get the same operator for the return trip, you've lost that ticket.

Here's the directions link:

virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/…

Have fun!

8. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 July 2011, 14:35
Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

I took some recommendations on here and went with Discount Car on St Thomas. I'm arriving on Tuesday and I can't say enough good things about June that works there. (owns it maybe - I don't know) She took so much time to talk to me on the phone and found the jeep we needed and called me back after she found it.

10. Re: Taxi cost from airport to red hook ferry vs rent jeep there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 17:15