We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

I visited St. John in March of 1998 with my entire family. We enjoyed the unique small charm of the island. Nothing like the hustle and bustle of St. Thomas. We loved having access to beautiful beaches, top notch snorkeling without the crowds. It is now 13 years later and I am getting married and planning a honeymoon. Would you recommend returning to St. John or checking out the BVIs? Our top priorities are seclusion and privacy, relaxation with the option to have some adventure as well. Any other Caribbean suggestions would be great as well!

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

I would recommend St John overall, the beaches the quality and service in the restaurants are far superior to the ones in the BVI's. The BVI's have beautiful little out islands which would be great for you to visit by renting a powerboat or taking a day tour.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 17:03
New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

I love St. John and visit as often as I can - the beaches are gorgeous, the views sublime and the relax mode starts as soon as I'm on the ferry.

However - there have been a lot of changes since you came in 1998 bringing a lot of people ( of which I am one ). You wont find seclusion and privacy without really seeking it out - less visited beaches, arriving early or late or traveling off season.

For a honeymoon where privacy and seclusion are valued above all as you say - I'd consider if budget allows maybe Peter Island or Guana Island in the BVI. Consider also the Grenadines. Young Island , Petite St. Vincent or Bequia. Budget and travel time allowed are important factors.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

There have been a lot of changes on STJ since you were last there and I don't think of many of them as improvements. Less of what I'd imagine you enjoyed and more of what you were pleased wasn't there. It's a different island now.

We first went to STJ in the 80s. We haven't been back for a while. Our last Caribbean trip was to Virgin Gorda which would probably be a better fit for you now than STJ would. Water Island in the USVI is another island that you might find to your liking.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

I'd say St. John over BVI. We stayed on Tortola for 2 weeks a few years ago and it was the longest 2 weeks that I can remember. The snorkeling was very poor unless you paid for an boat excursion. We found only one beach to come anywhere close to St. John. We also found the people to be generally less than friendly (with the exception of a couple of places that we hung out).

I'd say rent a villa up on Bordeaux Mtn mid-island in St. John or out in Coral Bay if you're looking for privacy and seclusion. Rent a Jeep and enjoy the beauty of this special island.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

We've done the BVIs and USVIs and STJ is our favorite. The White Bay Villas on Jost Van Dyke might work for you as well, but the no grocery on island thing is hard for this guy who loves to cook. No passport for the USVI is a plus for some folks.

What time of year are you looking at?

Cheers, RickG

New England
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

St John is the best. The only comparable place might be Palm Island in the Grenadines. It is a private island resort with villas and free standing beach cottages. A unique experience. Not easy to get to (via hops to Barbados and Union Island), but worth it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

I love the BVI. You should look at Guana Island and Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

I say St. John UNLESS, by the "BVI's" you mean that you are in the price range of Peter Island, Necker Island or Guana Island. If you can afford those, go for it! I'd love to stay one day when the budget allows.

But if you are on a tighter budget than Peter Island, Necker Island or Guana Island, then I'd stay on St. John and hire a private boat to take you on a day trip to the BVIs (Palm Tree charters is awesome!)

9. Re: St. John vs. BVI for honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 16:16