We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
5 posts
Save Topic
St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

I'm planning a trip for 6 of my girlfriends next March and we've narrowed down our choice of islands to Eleuthera, Curacao and St. John. All of us are in our late 20s/early 30s and we're all looking for a relaxing vacation and want to rent a villa in order to cook and hang out with each other in the evenings.

St John looks gorgeous although we'd have to drive anytime we wanted to go to the beach. The snorkeling and hiking looks great. In Eleuthera, I'm looking at Sky Beach Club since their 4-bedroom villas look amazing and it's right on the ocean but I'm worried we might get bored after a week. Curacao seems nice in that there's a wide diversity of activities and prices on the island aren't as expensive as St. John or Eleuthera.

Does anyone have thoughts as to which destination might be best for a group of girls?

daisytown
Level Contributor
591 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

I have been to both St john and Eleuthera. They are both great but so very different. My thoughts would be Eleuthera might not be a great choice unless you plan on just beach time, not much else to do. The beaches are gorgeous and in my opinion matches or exceeds St John. St john is a gorgeous island but a drive will be necessary for the beach unless you stay at Caneel.St John gives a lot more options on things to do, example St thomas for shopping, BVI daytrip. We went to St john in June and are going back to Eleuthera next May. Any specifics ask away.

Nancy

ptld, or
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

I have not been to Eleuthera or Curacao but have them on our short list which means I've researched them a bit. We decided against Eleuthera for now since it doesn't have as much going on as St John but island hopping would be fun their.

Curacao is of interest but lacks the lush tropical attmosphere I crave, from what I read, more of a desert look. The town I've heard from friends is quite neat and fun to browse around in so would love to check out some time.

St John has some Villa's or condos close to beaches or on them if you can afford. VRBO has a listing.

We love St John since yes the price of Villa's are high but the snorkling and water sports are free no need to take an expensive tour. We enjoy music and hiking such as the reef trail hike.

Can't wait to hear what you decide and hope you post with comments.

Roseville, MN
Level Contributor
124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

We have been to Eleuthera (May 2007) and just returned from St. John this past May. I think that with your age you are better off spending your time on St. John. While the beaches on Eleuthera are spectacular you will be hard pressed to find a lot to keep you entertained if you want more than that. While you do have to drive to get to the beaches on St. John, they are all only about 10 to 15 minutes from each other.

There is sooooo much to do after a day at the beach on St. John. You really can't go wrong with most of the restaurants, bars, or shopping options available to you on St. John. Just search this forum for the various restaurants options to help with some ideas.

Hope that helps

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

St John. Somewhere near Cruz Bay. It's a beautiful island with gorgeous scenery and beaches. Rent a car and explore. Plenty to do for a week in Cruz Bay at night. We go to Curacao for the diving.

northern nj
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

I also have been to Eleuthera and would recommend that you go to St John.

There is more to do on St John and as has been said, the beaches are not that far from one another. If you leave the Sky Beach Club you really have to do a lot of driving to get somewhere. St John is also a more lush green and mountainous island where Eleuthera is flat and arid. There is really only one main road that runs the length of Eleuthera.

Cruz Bay at night should give you lots of options.

Bonita Springs
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

I agree with previous posters. The 3 islands are very different. Curacao is a very dry island, Eleuthera has some amazing beaches, but not a lot to do there, it is also a flat island. St. John is lush, mountainous, and does have some of the best beaches in the Caribbean.

Here is some information on the beautiful north shore beaches. My favorite is Maho. rumshopryan.com/2011/08/19/st-john-beaches/

St. John has some really fun bars and restaurants for you to hangout at and have some fun. The Beach Bar, Woody's, Skinny Legs, Quiet Mon and others. Yes, you'll have to drive to the beaches but they aren't far and the drive is half the fun. You'll be driving on the left side of the road and looking out over some fantastic vistas.

Try to spend one day on the water as well. The day on the water always seems to be the highlight of the trip. Bring your passports and you'll be able to island hope around the BVI to great places like Jost Van Dyke, Norman Island and Tortola.

Hope you have a great time! Need a cabana boy?

Cheers!

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
315 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

I have to agree with most. We are taking our second girlfriend trip to St. John in January. Last time we went for 7 and it wasn't enough. This time we're going for 10 days! There is so much to do/see on the island. This is a great resource to help plan your trip.

Although most villas are not on the beach, you can certainly sit on a beautiful deck with a pool and enjoy the views! Hiking is fun! Especially when there's a beach at the end of the hike. Just pack up your daybag, snorkel, fins and head out! Most villas come with coolers/beach chairs so you can enjoy a day at the beach without issue.

You will need to rent a car.... and the driving is well... FUN. :)

Enjoy your trip!

8. Re: St John vs Eleuthera vs Curacao for girls getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 13:17