We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last day advice?

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Last day advice?

Previously we were leaving on the 9 am flight to Miami, so what to do on the last day was not a problem. But luckily we got our flight changed to the 2:55 pm flight so we have more time. I was wondering what suggestions people would have on what to do since we have to check out of the villa at 11:00. We could snorkel and then clean up in the am, check out, turn in our car and take the ferry over to STT. We have Rachel picking us up and I was thinking of seeing if she would take us on a drive to some interesting place in STT for lunch and a walk about--would that be a good idea? We have three flights (luckily first class due to FF miles) to get back to Seattle, so just sitting in the car driving around isn't appealing. Any ideas? Would you just ask for an extention to the villa and enjoy the STJ ambiance until ferry time? Thanks for your thoughts. Can't wait! We booked our tickets in January, so have been waiting a long time and reading others' reports just makes us want to BE THERE!!

Sally in Seattle

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last day advice?

We always have a late flight so we check out of the villa, return the jeep and head to STT.

Rachel picks us up and drops us downtown and we have lunch at Gladys' and then a drink at the Greenhouse. She keeps our luggage and comes back to get us to bring us to the airport.

I hate leaving STJ but I have to, so I would prefer to just get going.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last day advice?

Thanks for your experience, it was just what I was looking for!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Last day advice?

You really don't have that much "extra" time (imo)

If your flight leaves at 3pm you need to be at the airport by 1pm so you need to be on the noon Red Hook ferry so leaving the villa at 11am, driving to town, and returning the car will probably work out right for the noon ferry so unless you want to leave much earlier from the villa - say 9am therefore being on the 10am ferry giving you a couple of hours in STT I would say your flight time is perfect.

Pia

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last day advice?

Double check what time the jeep rental agency wants their vehicle back. Many places ask you to return the jeep by 10:00 am.

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
407 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last day advice?

We had Rachel pick us up at the Red Hook Ferry Dock at 10am, our flight was later on, I think around 4:45pm. We shopped in downtown St. Thomas & had a wonderful lunch at Glady's Cafe. Rachel picked us up later at a designated spot.. The time sure did zoom by for the couple of hours on St. Thomas before our departure.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last day advice?

I would take the 10am boat. Walk around downtown a little. Lunch at 11:30, pick up at 1:00 and you will be good to go.

7. Re: Last day advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 23:05
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last day advice?

Kookiermom - Yes check with your villa people on a late check out, they will have no problem with that if they don't have anyone checking in after you that same day, because they need time to clean and prep the villa for the next party. If you can do a late checkout I'd stay on STJ until ferry time then proceed from there as planned on STT. If you do have to check out at 11 heading over to STT early and finding a nice lunch spot to chill is not a bad idea either.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last day advice?

Thanks, everyone--and especially Pia--for your advice. When you count it back from lift off, well, we really don't have that much time, do we! Thanks for the two votes for Gladys's, we'll check it out. I am really grateful that we don't have to rush out to be on the 6 am ferry--I am not an early bird and have some anxiety for public transportation, so being on the STT side as the be-at-the-airport time approaches will be good for me, and being able to enjoy our villa for a few hours in the am--or do some last minute shopping in Cruz Bay after dropping off the car (will check that--thanks, Gotta Dance) will be great. Reading all the posts about snorkeling is making me really want to just be there!

Sally in Seattle aka kooikermom

10. Re: Last day advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 05:17