We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Bum Vacation

Minneapolis...
6 posts
Save Topic
Beach Bum Vacation

I've read a ton of information about beaches for my upcoming St. John trip in February but what seems to be missing is information on us non-sightseeing non-hiking beach bums. This is the first vacation I've taken in over 12 years I don't want to hike, fish, sail, snorkel, climb or do ANYTHING except sit on the beach and drink for 4 days... I've heard some beaches don't allow alcohol, glass, umbrellas, etc. What I'm looking for is a beach with a bar on it that I can sit all day with a drink in my hand and do nothing but relax.

Does such a place exist? $ is irrelevant

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Cinnamon fits your bill. As does White Bay, JVD.

No glass, alcohol is fine.

Cruz Bay itself is a cool place to chill for the day. Bars & views.

United States
Level Contributor
421 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Visit some of the Caneel Bay beaches - I am pretty sure they have bar service. It costs $10 to park in their lot.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Westin beach/pool has drink and food service and you can visit if you are not staying there. Trunk Bay has a snack bar with rum, and beer. No bar on the beach at Cinnamon as far as I know. I usually bring a cooler with some cans of beer and food for the day. I'm not much of a drinker on the beach. I prefer to snorkel and hike a bit. Jost sounds like your kind of place,,,

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Scott Beach (Caneel) has an active bar in season.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

If the money is really no object, you should stay at Caneel.

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
622 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Hmmm....STJ, beaches, drinking and doing nothing...I think this is the question I was born to answer, I know my purpose now.

Seriously, I think the answers above pretty much nailed. If you've got the $, Caneel is probably your most "beach-user-friendly" option. But it's not exactly what I'd call a party scene. They keep it pretty tranquil.

The best bar/beach scene is probably Soggy Dollar over on White Bay...but if you're on STJ, that would require a power boat charter or ferry ride. Not exactly strenuous, but requires planning ahead and making sure you get back before Customs closes...and that's a bit of a Buzz kill.

Trunk and Cinnamon do have bars, but it's probably not the kind of beach bar you're thinking of...they're off beach, back in the trees.

So here's my can't miss option....Maho...get yourself a cooler (I rec the Polar Bear variety) and fill it with a bunch of can beer (love the Presidente...it's the Coors Light of the Caribbean), maybe some rum and mixers (Coke and coconut Cruzan is yum yum) or whatever libations you prefer...do avoid the glass though, that is a no-no.

Then drive to Maho...the beach is basically right next to the North Shore road...so you can park your car, park your butt and crack a beer in about a minute...I speak from experience.

Pace yourself, drink some water, maybe mix in a cliff bar...good to go.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Definately not the roads one wants to be driving anywhere near under the influence, not that there are any that you ever should be. Long days in the sun and surf tend to mitigate that though. As noted, both Cinnamon and Trunk (which is closer to town) have snack shacks that sell beer. A cooler and a jeep enable you to choose from all the beaches, which can be especially nice if it is windy and a drive to Francis bay is in order. Hawksnest Beach is "the closest north shore beach that you can drive to from Cruz Bay and the parking lot is close to the beach, so there's no need for a long walk carrying your beach accoutrements." Just before Trunk Bay and well before Cinnamon and Maho... You could always spend your afternoons on the beach within 20 feet of the bar scene at The Beach Bar downtown! ENJOY the hell out of yourself, buddy. You'll love it and it sounds well deserved. Bring some cigars too!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Take a look to see if either of the Gibney Beach cottages are available for your vacation week. You would be able to walk right out of the cottage and be on the beach without having to drive anywhere. Although I do recommend checking out another beach or two as well, but that's up to you.

I will second The Beach Bar in Cruz Bay to just hang out. It's always fun, but you can't swim there. Too many boats coming & going.

Have a great time!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Have you rented a villa/hotel yet as well as a car - you 100% need a car and if you haven't rented one yet do it NOW

All beaches allow alcohol just not in glass bottles, you can take your own umbrella but no beaches have them. St John is very laid back - only 2 beaches Trunk ($4 pp to enter) and Cinnamon have bars available but they are a walk from the beach - all of the others you need to pack your cooler, chairs, umbrella (good luck keeping one up) towels, food, snorkel etc, drive, park and walk to the beach. Scott beach at Caneel is for registered guests only. Caneel does have a bar at it's main beach the rest are serviced by a drink cart that may or may not come around but very infrequently (I have only seen it three times on Honeymoon Beach and only once in the 4 hours or so we were there each time)

Pia

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Bum Vacation

Is there a reason that you selected St John? I agree that Jost Van Dyke would be a better choice for you. That's what people go there to do---sit on the beach and drink.