We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The phone question

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
The phone question

Our carrier T-mobile doesn't have coverage on St. John, so we will need another option. I have read about the Go Phones by ATT. Do those work on the island? Where should we get them--in the US or once we arrive on St. John? We would like one that worked prior to arrival since we are supposed to call the villa company (Viva) from the airport and also from the STT ferry dock. We would also like to have people at home able to contact us. What is the best alternative? Thanks! We have 13 days until we are THERE! Yahoo!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The phone question

The Go phones work on St John. You can get one before you go, but if you want one with the the cool 340 area code, buy one down there. I know there is an ATT strore in Crown Bay St Thomas. I am not sure where you would buy a Go phone on STJ. Maybe the pharmacy where Starfish is.

Edited: 23 November 2011, 02:20
Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The phone question

I think I saw GO Phones at Love City Market in Coral Bay last time we were there.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The phone question

I would pick up a ATT Go phone at home, that way you can save all your numbers in it and give it out to those that need it beforehand.

Walmart and Target both sell them

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The phone question

Thanks, all, I appreciate your advice. Since we have to call the villa company before we get to St. John, we'll get one here and be ready.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The phone question

I second getting the GO Phone at home. We have them here, but they are MUCH more expensive. It's been a awhile since I checked, but the last time I did, they were about $140. They are probably a fraction of that where you are. One thing I will mention, ATT has kind of strange coverage on island. Lots of odd dead zones. So if you don't seem to have reception someplace, just try moving several feet in one direction of the other. You're almost here!!! Safe travels!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The phone question

Go phone will be great--just make sure that you keep an eye on/disable roaming as once you pass certain areas in St John, the BVI towers start pinging your phone [LIME and BVI Boatphone]...you'll eat up your money quick if you're using it while roaming.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The phone question

My sister has a go phone and it did not work in the BVI at all so they may not allow you to connect to an international location on a go phone, but it is a good point!

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The phone question

I bought a Go phone before I left, and it worked great on St. Thomas, but not at all on St. John. I have no idea why. I wish that I'd talked to someone at ATT when I purchased the phone, perhaps I needed certain coverage. The good news is that it only cost me $10 and $25 worth of minutes.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The phone question

I just got an email from ATT and there are data packages available for Go phones so if you need email, text, and web, you can get that also.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The phone question

AT&T service works great in most places in St John and St Thomas, with AT&T it is considered US, so switch to AT&T and don’t worry about your phone service. :). That way you can have text, internet and phone.