We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

Our daughter was married at Caneel last week and we want to thank all of St. John and TripAdvisor for all of the tips we received. Quick review and one BIG warning:

1. Caneel is fabulous and Alana was great dealing with an insane mother of the bride. It was perfect, even with slight rain. Food above expectations since we had 80 attending. Had never stayed there(thought it was a bit stuffy - we usually stay at Gallows or Grande Bay) and found the place accomodating and not stuffy. Very relaxing atomosphere.

2. TripAdvisor made OceanGrill their 3rd favorite restaurant in St. John last year. Since we had small children we could not do ZoZos, so via email and a few phone calls, the Ocean Grill did an AMAZING welcome cocktail party for all of the guests. Very professional and helpful. I had not met John the owner until the night before and he as well as Patty were wonderful. We served apps and the tuna app is great. All were good, particularly the spring roll too!

3. BEACH BAR - you rock! Kept the party going past my normal hours for 3 days.

4. WARNING FOR ALL BRIDES: The Postal service is SLOW. We mailed things a month before the wedding and they did not arrive. They still have not arrived in St. John.

I did not know what was involved with a destination wedding and TripAdvisor and the many people in St. John made it so easy for us. I really want to thank all for the help.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Grande Bay Resort
Grande Bay Resort
288 Reviews
St. John
ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
1,814 Reviews
St. John
St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

Sounds like you had a great time! That is a pretty big wedding party :) We usually see much smaller groups for weddings here.

You are absolutely correct about the postal service on St. John. I'm guessing that you sent your items via Parcel Post. For us, that means a delivery time of 3 - 10 weeks (sometimes even longer). Priority Mail normally takes between 3 -10 days. Express Mail is the ONLY guaranteed method with USPS and it takes 1-3 days. I really wish the USPS would update their systems with realistic delivery times to the USVI, because when you go to your local PO, the delivery times they give you are pretty far off from what actually happens. I'm sorry your things didn't arrive in time! And I am surprised that someone locally didn't give you some better advice on ship method. But I'm really glad that you didn't let this snag ruin your big day here :) Thanks for the report!!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

So nice to hear about another fantastic wedding in STJ! My husband and I were married down there in August, Ocean Grill hosted our reception and did an AMAZING job. Patty and John are really great. Beach Bar was also a great place for our group- one of my friends even got to experience her Carribean debut at their open mic night :)

I was warned about the mail situation and only sent boxes down via USPS priority and everything made it in time...thankfully!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

I know I will eventually get the stuff I mailed. The only disapointment was that the cake server was in there and it was a present from a family member. But, the island and all of the people who helped with the wedding, from the photographer to the guitar player were fabulous. I would recommend St. John as a destination wedding place to anyone. It is such a beautiful island and Caneel was special.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

Congrats to your family!

We honeymooned at Caneel (16+ years ago) and wished we would have just gotten married there!

We return to Ocean Grill at least once each trip. I am surprised it doesn't get more chatter on the forums, the food and service is consistantly good.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

Now that the wedding is over, I want to spend time at Caneel and enjoy the place. We had a few things to do with a wedding with 80 poeple. It is a great place to restore energy.

I too am surprised the Ocean Grill does not get more mentions. The food was wonderful and the service amazing.

Edited: 02 December 2011, 02:28
6. Re: Quick review and thanks to Trip Advisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 19:43