We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
332 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

We are celebrating a special anniversary in May . We have been to Caneel Bay at least 20 times and even tho it is not the same as it was in the past .....we love it. The Beaches are the best we have ever seen and we LOVE the town . We are considering blending LDB and Caneel together. . I am considering a week first at LDB and then transfer to Caneel and fly back from STT. Hate to pay the fees at LDB for the day when we will be lucky to arrive before midnight ! We are flying from the west coast and not sure what the best plan is. Suggestions.....opinions? Feel free to offer alternate suggestions as well.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
137 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

why not stay over on the way, depending on where you fly thru. Atlanta, san jaun, maim??? etc. that way you can fly into tortola early and have the day at little dix. just a suggestion.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

Fly to STT, charter the Piper through LDB, transfer to Caneel; fly back from STT

The 500 dollar charter fee (for 2) is cost effective vis a vis regularly scheduled transfer flights from SJU>EIS or STT>EIS

Check it out and see what works for you.

ny
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

I too have been at Caneel addict for over 25 years.(talk about change!!) I also have come to enjoy LDB. I really like the suggestion of staying in P.R. or St. Thomas.(depending on when your cheapest flight lands). for the night and then starting the short travel the following day. I am on the East coast so I don't have as much traveling time. The airport was closed last year on Virgin Gorda, so I had to ferry back to St. Thomas and that still worked out. Also, check with LDB about the ferry to Caneel. Some days of the week they have a ferry between the 2 properties that is mostly for employees or supplies but you can still use it. You do have to ask though. If you have any specific questions please ask.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

My suggesttion would include the Wednesday LDB->Caneel boat.

I do suggest you check the airfares 'tween your origin airport and EIS (via wherever). I think you'll find that flying into STT as a round trip. Hiring a plane one way (LDB will arrange this for you) and then taking the LDB->Caneel ferry and eventually returning to the coast from STT on the RT part of your leg to be cost competitive. It may not be dollar cheaper; but the time savings and incredible convenience vs the added 1 or 2 hundred dollars will more than make up for this.

BTW, I found the Weds boat to be filled with Caneel->VG daytrippers returning to Caneel. Or LDB/Caneel 1/2 & 1/2 travelers. Not so much inter-property employee travel.

Edited: 15 December 2011, 03:04
NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

Hasn't the airport on VG (VIJ) recently been refurbished? I believe here is no more regularly scheduled service due to some certification thing. Charters only.

I was wondering if "refurbished" means lights for landings after sunset and real tarmac rather than gravel. I Thought the relative primitiveness of the airport was something that I always found charming. Though I'm sure many pilots and maybe more than a few passengers would disagree on this with me.

6. Re: Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2012, 10:18