We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

Just got back from 10 lovely days on St. John and am working on the trip report, but I thought I would tell you about the awesome sunscreen I found at a dive shop right before we left for SJ. I am fair and have had skin cancer, so I absolutely can't get burned, but I love to snorkel. I hate to put on sunscreen and then get in the water--the sunscreen stings my eyes. BUT--the dive shop (and I see that Amazon and others carry it also) had Beaver 43 made by Whetstone Labs. It doesn't sting and it doesn't cause mask leaks, even if applied right before you put the mask on! It is a little thick so hard to put on the rest of your body, but for faces, it rocks. PABA free and other good things about it. I also was searching for lip protection since I have gotten blisters on my lips in the past. The dive shop also had Solar Sense "clear zinc" spf 50 which was great. It doesn't taste horrible (just sort of) and stayed on in the water. Now all the fair people can enjoy St. John and stay sun-safe!kooikermom

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

HI,

The Solar Sense Clear Zinc SPF 50 rates a 3 (higher is more dangerous). on a scale of 0 to ten, 0 being the safest for human use. This is probably a good product (in my non-professional opinion).

However, most of the Solar Sense Clear Zinc products, including Solar Sense Clear Zinc Advanced Sun Protection for BABY, Green Tea & Aloe, SPF 50 rates a SEVEN on the EWG scale - Ten being the most dangerous to your your health.

I thought Beaver had a good EWG reputation, but not finding specific reviews on EWG - perhaps it was reformulated?

I am finding what EWG considers to be BAD ingredients in Beaver 43:

Beaver 43~The ULTIMATE very water resistant sunblock (so they say)

http://beaversunblock.com/

Active Ingredients of beaver 43: Octinoxate, Octocrylene, Oxbenzone, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide.

www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php…

OCTINOXATE - Rated a SIX on the EWG scale

OCTOCRYLENE - Some concerns:

www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php…

OXYBENZONE - In the opinions of some "experts", you should not have OXYBENZONE in your sunscreen.

goodguide.com/ingredients/184390-oxybenzone…

Titanium Dioxide - usually decent rating, if NOT nano - could be rated 1 to 7, depending on the product.

Zinc Oxide - probably rated between 2 to 4

I did a lot of research prior to spending 40 days in various African countries. If you Google:

complete sunscreen information

you can find it.

From the manufacturer of Beaver 43: We have a reliable, FDA approved, laboratory in California to produce our product. It has been tested by an independent laboratory in California and was rated an SPF 30+ and “very water resistant” (the term waterproof if no longer allowed to be used according to the FDA). One application will still last all day even with water activities. Unlike other sun protection products, many which contain 60 – 80 percent water, Beaver 43 contains NO WATER. Thus much less can be used and will still provide full UV-A and UV-B protection. Our product is non-greasy and will not run in or burn your eyes.

Thank you for sharing!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

Thank you for the heads up. I would love to get a sunscreen that works when you SCUBA and doesn't burn your eyes!

B.

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

Try Blue Lizard - does not contain alcohol which is most likely what stings your eyes. This was the only sunscreen that I could put on my son after he he got a bad sunburn, the rest hurt too much.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

What reports are out there about the chemical in sunscreen that's bad for the coral reefs? I totally regret that I didn't write that down last week when I saw it listed somewhere on a poster, at Cinnamon Bay I think. I also am very sun sensitive due to a medication and skin cancer runs high in my family so I find useful stuff but have no idea what damage I may have done to the coral reefs off St John.

We really can't "win" can we?

Boston
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

There are links on this forum about sunscreen and bugspray that does not hurt the reefs. I think it was about 18 months or so ago. You might be able to find it if you do a search.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

EWG.org rates Blue Lizard products from a '2' to '4' (Ten being the most dangerous to your health, according to EWG)

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/?search=Search+Here...&brand_id=255&ptype=sunscreen&homesearchsubmit=GO

Which seems good to me (a non-professional)

I don't yet know about it's effect on Reefs, but I'll be looking into that.

You can Google:

really complete sunscreen information

SafariInfo - a private person who researches everything before doing anything.

http://www.woodsmall.com/

7. Re: I found the best sunscreen and lip protection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 10:17