We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

Interested in going out for maybe 4 hours or so. Hope to be able to rent a boat big enough for 2-3 people, but still small. We used to charter in the islands, but not interested in that kind of "project" anymore. Will be going mainly to snorkel and relax, but would love to be able to sail a bit as well. Anyplace in Cruz Bay rent good condition small sailboats?

And where would the best sailing be? Which direction, if the rental is in Cruz Bayfl?

Many thanks!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

There is not a company that will rent you a sailboat on your own but there are some good charter companies.

Check out Gypsy Spirit or Wayward Sailor.

Edited: 27 December 2011, 01:59
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

Caneel, Cinnamon and Maho all rent small sailboats.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

Local sailor, aren't they just sunfish? I gathered from the OP's question that they wanted a boat to explore in.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

I thought Caneel had only Sunfish and made them available only to guests (no extra fee). I took one out there once, but they don't want you to go outside a very small area close to the dock. It was hardly worth the trouble.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

If you are willing to give up on the "sailing" part, you can rent really fun Zodiacs through Calypso in Cruz Bay and go exploring. They easily hold 2 to 3 people and are a lot of fun! You can take them all the way to Waterlemon Cay, and can stop at Whistling Cay and Henley Cay (or is it Hensley?). Both excellent snorkeling areas only accessable by boat.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

You can rent a Hobie Cat at Cinnamon Bay. They will limit where you can go but if you need a sailing fix, this might help.

florida
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

Great-- thanks very much for the help.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

I have seen 2 people on some of the small boats sailing out of Caneel - perhaps they were only Sunfish - and I don't know if they are only for guests. I understood the OP as 'wanting to sail a bit' - a few hours - didn't read the explore part and thought the snorkel and relax portion was unrelated to sailing.

florida
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

localsailor: you're correct abt the sailing being unrelated to the snorkeling, etc.

And yes, Caneel's sunfish are only for guests and basically must stay within sight of main beach-- i.e. just for futzing around.

10. Re: possible to rent small sailboat on St John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:20