We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
366 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

We are arriving Thursday, Dec. 29 for 2 weeks. This will be our 8th trip. I see that Island Blues has reopened and is having a lot of live music. Anyone been there? If so, how's the food? Any new restaurants open in the last few months? Is there anything going on for NYE on STJ? Thanks in advance for any input!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

We just got back from trip #7 and dropped in on Island Blues. Sorry to say we were disappointed. We are baby boomers and non-smokers and found that they allow smoking right at the bar which wasn't nice. Menu was limited but we didn't eat as the smoking drove us out. We were the only people older than about 25. Its still very new so its hard to guess which direction they will go. There was live music right across the street at a small liquor shop called the Case. Excellent band, seem to be locals. Also, Inner Visions has been playing at the High Tide (I think that's the name, I never remember squat) in Cruz Bay next to the ferry docks. Thursday nights I think.

New restaurants- we went to Fatty Crab's in Cruz Bay about 4 doors up the hill from Woody's- excellent, eclectic cuisine made with local organic produce.

Have fun, I wish I was back there now.

Atlanta
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

Also sad to say our visit to Island Blues the week of 12/10 was not good. The food was limited and it seemed to me that it was general disorganization. I believe they should have waited to reopen under the new ownership...

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

"To each there own" rings true here to me. We also visited Island Blues (twice) during the first couple weeks of December and had a different experience than the other posters; We were the only couple under 40, the 2 new owners did there part, and the menu was wide, diverse, and not the norm for Coral Bay (and that's a good thing). For us IB is a must-eat-at spot given the new ownership and menu.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

I have heard good things about it too, so I was surprised to see a few bad reviews.

Chilaxn is right, to each their own. I am looking forward to trying it out myself in April!

Edited: 28 December 2011, 12:18
NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
366 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

Thanks everyone for sharing your recent experiences at Island Blues. It'll be worth one stop for sure. I'm alway hesitant to try a new restaurant at home when it first opens because the staff is too new for my patience. Maybe IB's kinks have been worked out. I'll be able to post my opinion soon!

Happy New Year to all!!

6. Re: How is the "new" Island Blues? Anything fun for NYE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:19