We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

Looking to book our first trip to St. John within the next month or so for a Winter 2013 visit. My question is if guests that rent villas inthis winter have first dibs to return to the week they rented in 2012 --in 2013??? I know that several rental agencies handle it that way here on the Cape, but wasn't sure if it was the same in St. John...or if it is a legitimate "first come first served"???? THANKS!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

First come, First served.

I am not sure though, if people will rent to you that far out.

When I worked in a rental office on island we did not rent for more than a year out.

Good Luck!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

I have been "shopping" in the past few days for a SJ visit next winter also - many of the vrbo website availability calendars right now extend through February of 2013. An owner told me in an email the other day that he gets rentals starting a year in advance. I'm sure they are all different but thought I would pass along this information in case it helps you.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

I am familar with the repeaters-getting-first-choice practice on Block Island, RI but I don't think any agency on STJ does that.

We have booked villas a year in advance because we wanted a particular villa during a certain week but I think we are the exception.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

When we have rented through Vacation Vistas, we had the option of reserving the same villa for the same week the following year. BUT we had to do it before the end of our stay and give them the deposit then too. So they were only taking reservations 1 year out. Don't know if this is still their policy.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

We own a villa on STJ and have been receiving winter inquiries for 2013 and have been booking. We are on vrbo and also use VIVA to manage our property on island and they rent first come first serve as well.

As another poster added if a guest wants to repeat a specific week they will leave a deposit before they depart STJ.

Hope this helps.

6. Re: Year over year vacation rentals vs "first come first served"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 10:23