We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John Trip

CT
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
St. John Trip

Me and the wife thinking of traveling to St. John in either July or August. We know the weather can be a bit hit or miss but what can we expect as an average weather week in either month.

The other big question we have is how bad are the mosquitos at this time of year. We don't want to get eaten alive.

Any other tips or suggestions for 1st timers.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John Trip

One tip is to make sure you by trip insurance as you are traveling during hurricane season. As long as there are no storms the weather will be great. That is a big if though IMO especially as you get deeper in to the season.

B.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John Trip

Mosquito larvae develop in standing fresh water. At all times of year, the number of mosquitoes present depends upon the amount of rainfall in the two previous weeks. Since summer brings a lot of tropical storms and depressions, there may be more mosquitoes. Be prepared with bug spray, and look for accommodation in an open area, with good breezes.

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John Trip

I was in St. John for a week this past August. We were blessed with beautiful weather, just some showers one day. We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes (we were on the dryer, south east side of the island). There was tons of bug spray in the villa, so I think we were lucky. I did purchase trip insurance, but was lucky not to need it. Many restaurants and businesses were closed though (2nd week in Aug). If I were to do it again, I'd go for July.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John Trip

The statistics show that July has less hurricanes than August and the earlier you go the less the chance. We were in STT and STJ last week of July and lucked out with minimal rain, so the mosquitoes were quiet. Several years ago we had a very rainy week mid May and the the mosquitoes were viscous.

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John Trip

All three of my trips have been in early- to mid-July, and very consistently it is hot and humid that time of year. I've been lucky enough to have avoided hurricanes (knocking on wood...), but I purchase travel insurance, just in case. As is typical for that time of year, you're likely to have showers, perhaps every day, but they tend to come and go quickly.

As another poster mentioned, mosquitoes will depend on the amount of rain. Noseeums are a problem for me, but not necessarily for everyone. Most people seem to be able to avoid them by staying off the beach at dawn and dusk and using repellant religiously. They must love me, though, because in spite of precautions, I always get bitten.

Restaurants and shops all seem to be fully open at that time. I think closures start happening more in the August through October period.

I love going to the Caribbean in July. You get the cost savings of low season, plus much smaller crowds vs. high season. If you decide to go over the July 4th holiday, you'll be able to enjoy all of the fun and festivities of St. John's Carnival!

Syracuse
Level Contributor
473 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John Trip

It's hot and humid in the summer, but it's my favorite time to visit. Less crowds and long days. I love going to the beach in the evening (although due to the noseeums, I'm in the water, not on the beach) before getting ready for dinner.

Re mosquitoes-I was on island about 3 weeks ago. My father-in-law had 27 bites - I only had a few and the other 2 people had none. Go figure. Still, I have bug spray with me.

7. Re: St. John Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:18