We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
366 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

We are on STJ now. I love this island, as this is our 3rd trip this year, 8th trip total. I'm not planning on doing a trip report yet, but just needed to vent. This trip will cost us roughly $6,000-$8,000. We work hard for our money and like to spend it doing things we love. We love STJ, but are the employees here getting too burned out to appreciate where their income comes from?? We have a couple with us that is experiencing their first trip here. Our first evening here we experienced two rude employees from two different establishments. They both recognized us as past visitors, but because they're having a crappy day as a waitress and bartender, they want to share that with their customers? Also, we went out deep sea fishing today, total cost of over $1300 for four people!! (certainly wasn't my choice, but we did it). The company's webstie stated that we'd be able to keep 20 pounds of fish. The employee tried to convince us that we didn't need that much fish, and he questioned us at least 3 times in 10 minutes as to why we needed that much fish! Mainly because we paid $1300 for 20 lbs of fish! I realize they sell it or keep it, but golly, don't keep on about it! At home, I will stop going places due to poor customer service. I'd hate to leave here with a bad taste, we have 8 days to go...I've been in customer service all my life, if you can't put aside your bad day until after you get off work, maybe it's time for new work..Just saying...thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

:(

So sorry.... hope your customer service experiences get better this trip!

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

My advice: Go to a nice beach, do some snorkeling and swimming, read a trashy book, and have a few painkillers or some other type of adult beverage. Look out at that beautiful scenery and get your island head on. Then after a good attitude adjustment, you won't care as much. I know its tough unwinding after working hard, but its not worth it to let a few disgruntled people affect your vacation.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

I'm sorry that you have bumped into some bad moods. That is never nice :(

If you will allow me... the bad mood waitress and bartender made me think of something a friend just had happen where she works. She is a bartender, and a few days before the end of the year she got a surprise (along with the rest of the staff) that there would be a change in policy regarding tips. The owners decided that everyone would have to wait a full week before receiving their tips, effective immediately. I cannot even imagine how terrible service was at that place that day!!! With many of the employees relying on their tips to pay their rent in a few days, I am sure that it was very stressful for them and made for some very bad service. I am not trying to excuse the bad attitude, maybe just trying to show that sometimes there is something else going on.

Hopefully the rest of your vacation you will have friendlier service. Enjoy!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

That stinks! I am sorry that you are not getting great customer service. I agree that at home, I just go somewhere else, but you can't really do that many times on vacation.

I agree with one of the PP, make a jug of rum punch and go to the beach. Soak up the sun and sand and remember that the beach is why you travel to STJ. Stop at the grocery store, get blender drink fixins, grill up that fish at the villa and take in the night time views. There are many ways to forget a bad memory and make good ones.

Everyone has bad days, there is no getting around it, no matter where you go. I am sorry that you had to experience it.

PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

I love that you're comfortable enough on this forum to vent!! Now don't you feel better?!?!?!

I also appreciate you keeping both parties that disappointed you anonymous.

All you can do is tip accordingly and maybe they will get the hint, walk away..staight to a painkiller and move on!!:)

By the way.. if it makes you feel any better...it's 8 degrees here:(

ENJOY!!

Edited: 04 January 2012, 12:55
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

I would definitely send a written complaint to both businesses. In fact, I would probably try to put it in the owners' hands. At least you will have done your part to try to improve the service by letting the owners know the service was substandard.

If it happened to you, it's probably happening to others, but they're not letting the public know. The owners need to know.

NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
366 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and advice as to what to do. Obviously we love this island to be back 8 times. I think we were so disappointed because both women knew us, and we're always bragging on how friendly everyone is. It was our friends first impression of the locals. :( As most locals, these women have at least two jobs. One is employed by a really good friend of ours, so we've talked with him. He told us one more unfriendly incident at his place and she's out. (but it wasn't his placed where it happened).

So for all of you suffering in the states in the brutally cold, I'm going to the East End, hopefully having lunch at Vies and kicking back at some of the most beautiful beaches with a cold drink in my hand! Hopefully no more bumps in the road. Happy New Year to all! Cheers!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

St John is my favorite island. That being said if I could change one thing it would be the service tourists get on the island. i have been to many islands throughout the Caribbean and I find the people on STJ that run the stores, the public services, the car rentals the least friendly and the hardest to deal with. There are a lot of wonderful people on STJ but unfortunately there is also a lot of people that are difficult to deal with.

B.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

Hope the rest of your trip is better. Often in a situation like the one you described I will actually politely talk to the person as privately as possible and point out how I feel. Based on their response I decide whether or not to speak with or write to an owner. I most certainly would name here on this forum, the places where it happened as that is part of what this is here for. When contacting the owner you can then refer to the fact the post is here and they can reply here if they like. Everyone is entitled to a bad day, decent and reasonable people acknowledge they're having one and apologize if one is necessary. Have a great rest of your trip!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's Happened to Customer Service Here?

Sorry you've had such as run of grumpy, difficult people!

I've found that waiters who recognize me as a friendly face may let their guard down, saying things to me that they would never say to strangers. They don't consider that other people at the table may be forming their first impressions. When I take visitors to favorite restaurants, I introduce my friends as "enjoying their first visit to ..." in hope of forestalling loose talk and amping up the service. If that doesn't work, it's a REALLY bad day.

Hope the mood on island improves.