We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Since we are traveling with 4 kids and will be eating a lot of our meals at the Villa- we are looking to put together a box of non perishable food to ship ahead of our stay. Does anyone know if this is possible and how we could go about shipping and receiving the box once on island?

Thanks for the tips/suggestions!!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

You can either ask the villa manager or contact "Connections" on St John who will hold a package for your arrival for a fee. The number of their Cruz Bay location is 340 776 6922 and Coral Bay is 340 779 4994. Best way to ship is the USPS flat rate Priority boxes. They come in three sizes and you can print out shipping labels via their website.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Just remember to send it Priority Mail and give yourself 7-10 days for it to arrive even though your Stateside PO will tell you 2-3.

Pia

Edited: 09 January 2012, 15:20
New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Sending it Priority is a must!!! I sent 4 boxes to St. John a month before my daughter's wedding and they did not arrive in time. I am still waiting for one of the boxes to be returned and it has been over 2 months since the wedding. I did not realize how important Priority mailing with a tracking number is so important.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

I will add that you should not only do priority mail but add Delivery confirmation. It is 75 cents more but it really is very helpful!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Like others said you have to do Priority mail. I shipped snorkel gear down and it took 5 days. Which was great. When I shipped it back I sent it normal UPS as it was January and didn't think I would need it in Chicago. It took over 3 weeks.

B.

Horsham...
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

You must use all caps and no punctuation, VI, not USVI. Our boxes always arrive between 7 and 12 days, varies even when mailed at the same time.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

All caps and no puncuation?? Don't quite get that as everything is based on the zip code.

B.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Here's what works for me. Go onto usps.com, and create the label and pay for the flat rate postage through their website. Two big benefits:

1) It creates a label with a barcode. The barcode will help in getting your box to the right place, and

2) The address is printed in their standardized format for USPS.

Additionally,

1) Delivery Confirmation is free,

2) You can check the website to track your boxes,

3) It's slightly cheaper than the flat rate that you'd pay at the counter of your US Post Office

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Gotta: I just paid .75 for delivery confirmation when I sent a box last Monday.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shipping a Box to St. John Prior to Arrival

Tink - did you pay for the postage online? I may have not been clear. Delivery Confirmation is free if you pay for your postage online.