We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

In preparation for our trip, I'm loading up my Kindle. What are some good reads you've enjoyed recently? (I prefer fiction but will read just about anything...)

Ahhh...

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

I'm not a "reader" but I just finished Water For Elephants - if you have not read it it is a MUST - I could not put it down and stayed up until 2:30am to finish it on the last day as I didn't want to wait just to read the last 3 chapters.

Pia

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

The other forum has an off topic section with a great book thread- I would check it out-

virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/…

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

Wouk's Don't Stop the Carnival (USVI based)

Sense of Wonder

Caleb's Crossing

The Help

United States
Level Contributor
417 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

I loved Until Tuesday - the true story of a wounded warrior and the Golden Retriever that changed his life. Really great story and a must read for anybody that has a family member that served in the Persian Gulf.

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

Anything by Lee Child.

Anything by Harlan Coben.

Anything by David Rosenfelt.

The new Grisham book is good.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

Anything by Nelson Demille.

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

If you would like to venture into the non-fiction realm I would recommed "An Embarrassment of Mangoes." It is a very interesting story of a couple who put their jobs on hold and and sailed from Canada to the Eastern Caribbean in their 42-foot sailboat. Its a great read as you are enjoying the beach and goes beyond the typical sailing story, exploring some of the culture and cuisine of the region.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

I agree with byado. Don't Stop the Carnival. Also, Jimmy Buffet's Searching For Joe Merchant or A Salty Piece of Land. Any of these will keep you in the Caribbean spirit.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

Water For Elephants was good. We gave my son "The Art of Fielding" for Christmas which he enjoyed and I will be taking with me to STJ next month. "Tuesday's With Morrie" by Mitch Albom, if you have not read that. Then anything by: Steve Berry, Brad Thor, Daniel Silva, James Rollins, Gayle Lynds. (Lee Childs was already mentioned and I second that too.) And, you cannot go wrong even re-reading my favorite "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse.

As an aside, I am not comfortable bringing my iPad to the beach and leaving it unattended as we walk and swim. Not sure I'd leave a Kindle alone either. Does anyone else have any feelings about this aspect? Thanks.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 16:03
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

So everybody has already read Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy (Dragon Tattoo)??? Yeah, guess so.

I'll second "Water for Elephants" and "Embarrassment of Mangoes." One of my all-time favorite beach books is "Fluke" by Christopher Moore, but his bizarre style is not for everybody. Another nonfiction goodie, this one for history buffs, is "Theodore Roosevelt and the River of Doubt."

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm loading my Kindle for our trip - what should I read?

Ape House

Sense of Wonder