We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can St. John be affordable?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can St. John be affordable?

We're looking for a winter 2013 vacation with our two adult kids and one middle schooler. Can we find nice accommodations with a $2,000 budget for seven nights? I am getting distressed, thinking St. John is our of our price range. Suggestions please ...

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

That would be pretty tight. And the price of the rental jeep would be an additional $500 to $600. Even if you stayed in town and didnt rent, taxi's to and from the beach would run about $300, and then you would be walking everywhere else.

St John, in high season, is not inexpensive. You would have to wait for the last minute specials and then hope and pray that you will find something in your price range, that the airfare will not be sky-high, and that there will be rental jeeps available at the last minute. Good luck.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

It can be done but it will be tough. Cheaper and unforgettable would be camping at Cinnamon.

Grand Isle, VT
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

Take a look at these for the shoulder season, April or December. The weeks in January through March are owned but might be rented. You will still have to rent a car though.

http://www.vrbo.com/321094

http://www.sunsetridgevillas.com/

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

We really enjoyed Surf Sound if you don't mind your middle schooler on the pull out couch. Good luck. http://www.vrbo.com/265005

Edited: 15 January 2012, 15:28
Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

Oops, nevermind. You're taking more people than I thought.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

Why don't you look at Maho, Harmony or Condordia. Some are tent cabins but the others are studio's. with their own bathrooms. You might need two, but if you can't afford that I would say it will be very difficult during high season. Maho and Harmony are in a great location, cannot comment on Concordia because I have never stayed there. Also there are lots of threads about them so if you do a search you can read about them. The website is www.maho.org

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

You might consider staying on STT in a condo rental, having a rental car and taking a few day trips over to STJ.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

Wow! You guys are great! Thanks for the info ... every detail you have offered has been so valuable! Keep more info coming!

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

I second the Cinnamon or Maho recomnentation, they are within your price range and on beautiful beaches. You can rent a car in STT for about 250/week and take it across the car ferry saving all taxi fares. You can't go on the dirt roads in a car but can make it everywhere else..

s g
Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can St. John be affordable?

i will be flying into STT renting a jeep bringing my gear and two adult children camping at cinnamon this week! YES it can be done. The first time i did this with my wife we jitneyed to cinnamon, camped, walked and hitch-hiked around. It was fun. I also would hike the cinnamon trail up the mtn to see the bay, end up on the center road and catch the bus into town for a buck. Coming back at night was a real trip( in sandles with a pen light) on that trail after happy hr beers ..but it was an adventure. . Most people wont tell you about that. It can be done, and cheaply..just take your time. you are on the island. every one is a friend on st.johns.