We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

My 13 year old son is interested in learning to dive, as it will be his first time, I'd really like to make sure he has a great experience. My husband is an experienced diver and will be with him which will help. We are staying at Caneel so Patagon would be the most convenient. Has anybody used Patagon?

Nashville
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

I am not familiar with this dive center but I am sure they are good.

We have used the other 3 dive companies on St John

Low Key

Cruz Bay Watersports

and Colette with 6 PAQ

All were good but Cruz Bay was our favorite

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

Patagon is new to Caneel but is owned and operated by the same company that runs the Patagon Dive center at the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas. I know one of their captains, he has been running dive boats in the VI for years and speaks very highly of their operation at Caneel. I think their boats only hold 6 people at a time so you should get good personalized service.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

Thank you both...

I think a small boat would be great for him, especially only being 13 and just learning. He'll definitely be a bit nervous. I think that being at Caneel will be a bit in his "comfort zone" as well.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

wishiwas,

Is your son planning to become certified while you are staying at Caneel? If so, he can do his coursework and pool work at home and do his 4 certification dives at St. J - it saves about 20 hrs of time.

Don't know anything about Patagon, but we had a very good experience diving with Cruz Bay Watersports - very sharp divemasters and dedicated dive boats. My only concern about a 6 passenger boat is that it may not have a head.

You son might enjoy my BVI dive video:

youtube.com/user/…UvLKWH_bSQM

all the best, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Nashville
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

they may offer a "discover scuba" which will allow him to dive without the fuss of a full class/study and test.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

"discover scuba" is an option, but it entails a couple of hrs of training as well, learning the basics, practicing in a pool or shallow beach, and then doing an actual dive to no more than 30 ft, accompanied by a dive master. The entire process of doing that, and then an actual dive, will take 3 - 4 hrs or more. It's expensive, and, every additional "discover scuba dive" also requires a DM. If your son is interested in experimenting, most local dive shops have an arrangement with a local pool in which interested persons can experiment with scuba in the confines of the pool.

safe diving, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

We discussed with him the option of doing the "discover scuba" vs. taking the online certification classes at home before we go and finishing the rest while we are on vacation. He said that he just wants to try it out first by doing a discover scuba.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

Good for him, glad to hear he's going to try scuba!

Please let us know how your trip goes.

Be well, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

I would suggest searching Trip Advisor for information on the best dive center for the certification of your son. His first certification is just the beginning of an unmatched life-long recreational activity. Pick his instructor(s) carefully.

My Grandson was certified by Aqua Marine 5 Star Dive Center in St Thomas. His instruction was excellent and I was very pleased. His instruction was an incentive for him. He loves to dive and dives with confidence and caution. As a result we enjoy our dive holidays together!

10. Re: Any thoughts on the Patagon diving center at Caneel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 10:21