We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Has anyone stayed here? I am looking for some feedback as we are headed there in July. Thank you

New England
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Have spoken with the owner on the phone to ask ?'s about the property. He was very nice and helpful. We drove down to the villa last time we were on island to see what it looks like, etc. Looks like a fabulous spot. It is pretty close to the neighboring house. If you look at photos from the villas across the harbor (on rental websites), you can see Beachwalk and the neighbor. The only concern, having stayed near Chocolate Hole, is that if the wind is blowing on that side of the island, the water may be too choppy for calm snorkeling. But hey, there are plenty of other great snorkeling spots if that is the case!! We will definitely consider this villa next time we visit St. John!

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Thank you very much for your input---it help me. Donna

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

I thought this villa look very appealing but on the St. John villas website it said:

PLEASE NOTE: VILLA GUESTS OCCUPY MAIN HOUSE ABOVE A PRIVATE APARTMENT

so I inquired and there does seem to be a tenant in the apartment below the house. I would be very interested in hearing about your stay after you are there. The house looks great but we love our privacy so I was afraid this was not the house for us.

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Hi, I did ask the owner about the private apartment. It has its own entrance-I was satisfied as to his answers about the apartment. We look forward to our stay and I will let Trip Advisor know about our experience.

Thanks for you input. Donna

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Welll, its December 2012 and I am just now reporting on our stay in July 2012 at the Beach Walk Villa.

There were four of us. My husband, Daughter-20 and Son-14. The home itself is darling. The two full baths were perfect as there was never an issue with shower time. The Kitchen (well equiped) is great -- you can cook a snack --or a meal and look out at the beautiful bay and stay connected with the others in the Villa.

The upstairs loft is nice with a futon- desk- TV and a great view of the bay. Outside is well equiped with kayak, snorkel gear and floaties. However, the "beach" is all rock. As my husband and children had no issues with managing the rocks (watch out for the sea urchins large and small) to get out to snorkel. I could not. I am not handicapped just not steady on my legs as they are. And it was very hard for me to manage the slippery rocks with flippers on (which you need because of the sea urchins) - so I did not get to experience the snorkeling at Beach Walk Villa. My husband and kids tell me it was one of the best on the island. We went to most every beach on the north side---

So I was disappointed that I could not do the snorkeing there. It is not sand.

Also, you would have to swim or Kayak to Chocolate Hole beach- as the shore is indeed all rock. The Chocolate Hole beach is not a destination beach. While we were there Chocolate Hole Beach still had not been completely cleared of wreckage from the last hurricane several years ago. And there is the unfinished resort there as well. The builder ran out of money and it sits as a construction site, let me say though you CANNOT see that from sitting out on the lower deck of the villa. The whirlpool is ok. It is snuggled in with greenery just off the driveway.---you cannot see the bay while in the whirlpool. It is certanly relaxing. The teenagers were expecting wi-fi as advertised--however there were provider issues while we were there so it was unreliable --- the caretakers were doing their very best to correct it. If you absolutely need your wi-fi---just double check the provider issues are resolved. But, geesh, why would you want to work? The Iguanas are fun as heck--- feed them and watch them go crazy. We loved our stay at St. John. Next time, I get to pick the place---high in the mountains with a pool.

So go---you'll love it. (Great for the money-best Value)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Having stayed in Chocolate hole the snorkeling is good but iMO not the best on the island.

B.

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

One of the best---not thee best. Agreed. Happy Holidays!

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

In all honesty - Wouldn't even go with one of the best. :)

B.

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

ok LOL. Which is your favorite spot on St. John to snorkel?

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Walk Villa-Chocolate Hole

Waterlemon and Haulover, Salt Pond way out by the rocks. Francis for turtles.

to name a few. In Chocolate hole the snorkeling by the East side of the opening to the bay has some big boulders that is pretty cool. I don't know if I wasn't staying there if I would make a special trip. As you said the beach is not a beach but more of a way for the folks who have boats moored to get to them.

B.