We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

Vermont
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

Looking to see which one is best - notice some charge 10% and additional 5%, others just 10%. we've been with Caribbean Villas twice now - they were great both times, but really don't like paying that extra 5%.

We are looking for 7 nights, 4-5 people. A/C in bedrooms, decent size pool (would love infinity, but not necessary), sunset views, and QUIET prices at around $400 (plus taxes).

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Sea Shore Allure
Sea Shore Allure
#1 of 4 hotels in Cruz Bay
St John Guest Suites
St John Guest Suites
#1 of 7 B&Bs / Inns in St. John
Treetops
Treetops
#2 of 7 B&Bs / Inns in St. John
Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

Make an offer lower than posted with tax included, be surprised as I was. They took my offer. Lots of openings so I think they are ready to play our game.

2. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 20:35
Vermont
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

Which villa company was this with?

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

Omvillas that I found on Homeaway.com. I looked for empty spaces on the schedule (before I booked my flight) and made an offer to fill in that space. Made crazy low offers and some rejected but two accepted. Got 60% off in total high season! We rented a 1 bedroom condo above the Westin on Cruz Bay for $200 tax included. A view to die for, AC, WiFi, and pool...sweet. The crummy Best Western off the highway here costs $159 here in Va.! Have fun looking and don't be afraid to make a low offer.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
5. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 21:35
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

If the calendar looks light, make an offer. That is what we have done successfully with several companies. We have never tried it with a super popular villa.

The 10% tax is a VI tax, but you can usually negotiate the price down to cover the 5% service charge.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

If it's the villa you want and it's not available from anyone else, then the 5% is just part of the real price. I've been renting from Caribbean Villas since 1997 and paying this fee, but only when I had to. Every time I rent from them I tell them how much this extra fee erks me, and they get pretty defensive. It was a complete surprise to me when I get the rental contract for that first house. After a dozen rentals from them, they should be used to hearing it. I have more than a dozen rentals from other providers too, but CV has some listings that I prefer. I do really like their last minute deals listings.

On haggling, we rarely pay the price listed. Pebble Cove for Thanksgiving week was an exception. But, oh what a setting!

Cheers, RickG

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

Go thru Vrbo. Deal directly with the owner.youshould never have to pay that 5% fee...

Vermont
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

RickG

Pebble Cove doesn't have a pool, correct?

michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best villa rental company - 10% tax + 5% service fee?

We were able to negotiate with the owner of a private villa. Got a great rate and one night free since were staying 10 days. I would avoid a company like omni or viva vacations, they have to get there cut of the pie. Deal with the owner directly on vrbo.com or homeaway and send a message for them to call you to get a feel of the villa and owners and save the money by dealing direct