We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best fresh fish market?

Michigan
Level Contributor
763 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best fresh fish market?

I assume fresh fish should be in abundance on the island, but we're looking for a recommendation for the best market on the island. We're looking forward to some great fish dinners at our villa. All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Dave

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best fresh fish market?

This is a common misconception. (I thought this too on my first trip) Since it is an island it should have a ton of fresh fish. It does not and the only market I know of is the fish trap. It is good but very similar to what you see at home. You can look for some local fisherman with their big white coolers down by the National Park docks and out in Coral Bay but that is very hit or miss.

B.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best fresh fish market?

Look for the guys with white coolers in Cruz Bay usually next to Natures Nook (they yellow wooden store) - they have been there everyday this week but it is hit or miss.

Pia

Michigan
Level Contributor
763 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best fresh fish market?

When you say "it's hit or miss" does that mean the quality is sometimes good and sometimes bad? Or are you just saying that they're not always out with their coolers?

Has any tried the fish from 'the cooler guys'?

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best fresh fish market?

The Caribbean is counter-intuitively commercially 'fish-poor".

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best fresh fish market?

Just not always there - I have never had anything but super tasty fresh caught that day fish from them and would (and do) buy in a heartbeat.

Pia

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best fresh fish market?

It is certainly fresh but it always seems to have a lot of Mackerel. Which is not a personal favorite of mine. Maybe I was just unlucky.

B.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best fresh fish market?

I go to the Westin doch when the fishing charter comes in. They usually have some Mahi Mahi or Tuna if theyv'e been offshore. swell has been up recently and they sometimes wont go out to the drop. Bring your own ziplock. They usualy get in around 4;30ish.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best fresh fish market?

The freshest fish can be found where Pia said, by Nature's Nook, across from the 'port' between the Customs building and the National Park Visitor Center. Look for the guys in the late afternoon. They will be sitting with big white coolers. They catch daily, and sell their catch in the afternoons. My in law is quiet often there selling his catch. You will see a lot of different kinds of fish. Different snapper, grouper, tuna, mahi. They will have it scaled and gutted, and for the larger fish, cut into steaks. Not a lot of filleted fish. With the smaller fish, you can cook them whole.

If you want to try how a lot of the locals eat fish, this is how you would do it....

Smaller fish are cooked whole. Thoroughly clean the fish with Key Limes (or just regular limes if you can't find the key limes) and water. Just rub them down really good in a bowl of water using a half lime.

After they are clean, drain the water out, slightly score the sides of the fish into the flesh a little bit, not to the bone. Liberally season with Adobo (readily available at the stores here or at St. John Spice) rubbing all over the fish. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.

Slice up some onion, green/red pepper, garlic, and potatoes.

Now you will want to place each fish in it's own piece of foil, big enough piece to make a packet. Put a few pats of butter on the fish, some veggies, and a sprig of fresh thyme. Fold the foil up to make a packet, but leave one end open a little bit so you can pour in a tablespoon or two of water. After you put the water in, fold up the rest of the way.

Throw on grill, then enjoy! Cook time depends on the size of the fish.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
508 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best fresh fish market?

Bought whole snapper a few nights ago from The Fish Trap....she made suggestions on how to prepare it and it was delicious!!!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
763 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best fresh fish market?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback (and especially Julie, for the cooking info.). One last question - are all the fish (in the 'white coolers") whole fish, or have they been prepped and are ready for cooking? I'm just wondering how much work we'll have.