We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John with teenagers

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
St. John with teenagers

My husband and I are traveling to or would like to travel to St. John (US Virgen Island) at the end of July. Have never been there. We have a 16 yr old girl and 14 yr old boy. Other than enjoying the beach, are there other things to keep busy with? Also, my husband is not fond of hot and sticky weather, is it very hot at the end of July? And last, in looking at hotels, I didn't see a whole lot of hotels other than the 3 or 4 really nice hotels that are like $300 plus a night and we want more like $200/per night on the beach and not sure that's possible. Any information on any of these questions would be great. Thanks

Texas Girl

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John with teenagers

Unless you are willing to camp, you will not find $200 on the beach on STJ. In fact, beachfront accomodations on STJ are few and far between and are very expensive.

Have you looked into Gallows (waterfront), Grande Bay (nice water views), Lavendar Hill and Cruz View Condos? You may be able to find a unit for around $300 a night.

Hot in July? Depends on your husband's version of hot. I am from the Northeast and I think STJ is warm in the summer but not as humid as it is at home. Generally, there is a breeze blowing. Expect late afternoon showers that time of year.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John with teenagers

1. Beach, snorkeling, and hiking are the activities on island. Cinnamon Bay has paddleboards, parasails, etc to rent. I believe you can parasail from STJ now, but there are no ziplines,ATV, etc.

You can rent a boat or a dinghy, as well.

2. The end of July is very hot, in my opinion

3. STJ is not a hotel island, really. There is the Westin and Caneel Bay. Then there are some small inns and Gallows Point, which is a condo "resort" The remainder of STJ visitors rent private villas and jeeps, which in my opinion, is the only way to really get out and explore the island.

STJ Is 2/3rds National Park, so the availability of "on the beach" accomodation is extremely limited. The best beaches are just beach.

The Westin has it's own beach as does Caneel Bay (well, Caneel Bay has 7)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John with teenagers

Being from Texas you should be used to hot & sticky. Yes, it will be hot & sticky, but we spend most of our time in the water so it's not so bad. There are only two resorts on St John. Caneel $$$$ and The Westin $$$. The Westin has a water trampoline & an iceburg they can climb on (in the water). They used to have jet skis, but not sure they still do. You are not going to find anything on the beach for $200/nt even in low season.

There are 3 (Ithink) smaller hotels. Not on the beach and I don't think you can stay 4 in a room.

We took our kids when they were 9 & 11 the first time. They had a great time. We took them back when they were 12 & 14. No matter what we suggested they didn't want to do it. All they wanted to do was go to Connections to use the computers to talk to their friends at home and rent movies to watch at the villa. We said FINE. We left them at the house and went to the beach without them. SO it depends on your kids. If they like to hike, snorkel, take a day trip to the BVI (passport required), explore ruins of old sugar plantations, or you can rent a dinghy or go deep sea fishing. There is plenty to do, getting them to do it & enjoy it.......??

Our kids are now 24 & 26 and want to go back. We told them if they pay for their airline tickets they could go with us. Guess who's not going in April?

St John isn't cheap. You need a rental jeep (about $575/wk) or take taxi's. Taxi's charge per person. With 4 people you're better off renting a jeep for the week unless you never plan to leave the resort. (In which case you would miss out on everything the island has to offer and IMO you are wasting your money going)

We have been going almost every year for 20 years, and haven't gotten bored yet. Still haven't been to all the beaches or hiked all the trails.

You might take a look at Maho Campground, Concordia or Cinnamon. But you won't have A/C.

Other option - leave the kids at home with Grandma! LOL : )

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John with teenagers

Hot and sticky in the tropics in July?? Uh...yeah!!! If you want the most comfortable temps ever, try Feb. But July is going to be very hot and sticky.

No, you aren't going to find a hotel on the beach in the $200 category. But I HIGHLY recommend that you stay in Cruz Bay since you have teens. That way they can go check things out and be walking distance to the condo.

We really like Grande Bay. You can get a really nice condo there in the $200 - $250 night range. It has parking. It's walking distance to all shops and restaurants.

St. John has sooo many beaches that you will want to explore, so you'll be driving regardless of where you stay.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John with teenagers

Thank you so much for all the feedback!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John with teenagers

The summer months are hotter, but we don't really get above 90. We do lose the winds in the summer months which makes it seem hotter. Also, our UV index is very high, so the sun feels intense. BUT, the water is warm in July and you can snorkel for hours without getting cold. I know I'm not a good judge of it because I live here...but I prefer the summer months. The water is a little too cold for me in the winter months.

I think staying at either Gallows or Grande Bay would be a great idea. Very close to town and the kids can wander around a bit.

It's hard to say whether or not the kids will get bored. It really depends on what kind of things they like to do. If they like the beach and snorkeling, they aren't going to get bored. There are a ton of different beaches to check out. I would make a trip out to Salt Pond and Drunk Bay. And if it's in the budget, and you all have passports, a day trip to the BVI is always a great time.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John with teenagers

Have you ever considered Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine? Not at all hot or sticky that time of year, plenty to do, and donated by the same L. Rockerfeller as 2/3s of St. John was.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 17:47
Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John with teenagers

I'm with Julie on the hot and sticky. We actually camp at Cinnamon every July and love it. It can get warm in the sun but is usually quite comfortable (for us) in the shade. At night the breeze keeps the cabin cool and we have never been too hot to sleep comfortably.

Look at the campgrounds. We like Cinnamon as it is right on the beach and comes in well under your budget. Our kids have been going since they were 2 and 4 (now 18 and 20) and they love it. As previous posters mentioned, it depends on what they like to do. If they are the "outdoors" type, they will have plenty to keep them busy.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John with teenagers

We were there last summer, last week in July and the weather was not too warm. You just have to be aware that you are in hurricane season. As the others have stated you will not find anything on the beach for $200. And I have to reiterate others opinions that if your kids enjoy the outdoors and would like hiking, snorkeling, maybe kayaking,playing on a beach that has no concessions then they will enjoy St John. For teenagers there is very little to do other than that. To me the town of Cruz Bay has little to offer them.

Raleigh
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John with teenagers

We were in St John last July for Carnival, for 11 days (so early to mid-July) and it was hot. I am definitely glad I had AC in the bedroom. Otherwise, it did not matter because we were off with our two teenagers, 13 and 14, cruising from beach to beach in the 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I just don't see how kids could not enjoy St John!! Snorkel, beach, amazing underwater sealife, hiking to incredible vistas, great island food, Ms. Lucy's for brunch, donkeys, driving to Coral Bay, scary hills, kayak trips, boat trip to BVI (if you can afford it, it is a blast and sooo beautiful), too tired for texting at days end (yes!). It is the perfect family vacation and you will learn things about your kids (and vice versa) that will last a lifetime. Beaches our kids loved: Waterlemon, Gibney, Hawksnest and Maho (for the turtles). Take them as a gift that will last their lifetime, as they can now go back and back again throughout their life (and they probably will).