We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

Trying to decide between Cruz Bay, Coral Bay and also Fish Bay.,

Grande Bay 1 BR in Cruz

House of Open Arms Villa in Coral

Reef Bay Cottage in Fish Bay

Anyone have input on these three? Pros/cons of each location or condo/villa/cottage? We like to go out at night for a bite to eat and a couple of drinks, very casual, and will likely have breakfast at home, lunch on the go as we visit the beaches. We do not stay out late but a little music or band might also be nice at a beachy type bar....

Have never been to STJ so unsure of the driving times from place to place, from Coral to Cruz, from either to beaches, etc. Obviously don't want to be driving after a few drinks either so probably wouldnt go all the way to Cruz at nigiht if staying in Coral.

Any input/insight/do/don't would help,.

Thank you!

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

Fish Bay is further from a lot of the beaches. The roads are dark, hilly, and curvy at night. When we stayed in Coral Bay one of us would really limit our drinks in order to negotiate the roads safely. Grande Bay is right in the town of Cruz Bay and not as scenic or private, but you can walk to everything at night. We prefer staying in town because we go out to dinner and listen to music most every night.

Billings, MT
Level Contributor
262 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

After several years of vacationing on STJ, and as many years of reading/giving opinions on Trip Advisior, I have come to realize there is no right or wrong answer. We have always stayed at Grande Bay....the units are nicely furnished...the proximity to bars/restaurants is amazing...the price...well, we have found, can't be beat. We looked into a villa a couple of years ago and although the price was right, we would have had to rent a jeep the entire week. Quite honestly...we like to have several/ maybe too many cocktails in the evening and nobody would want to drive. If that's not an issue, a villa would be a great option. We did rent a jeep the first year for a couple of days to see Coral Bay/ some of the beaches that taxis don't frequent .The beauty of STJ is, there is an option for every kind of vacationer. Some would not be content without the privacy of a villa and the freedom of a jeep rental, while some of us are more than content with easy access to Cruz Bay and some taxi fares.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

Ditto everything Anita just said!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

Anita is correct! That is the beauty of STJ.

I like my privacy so a condo is not for us. My husband calls it the youngest child complex; I am not good at sharing :)

Decide what seems like the best fit and book. You will have a great time no matter where you stay

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

omg tink you sound like me (also youngest by 13 years!!) and i also would love a villa but hubby wants to be in town and roam around at night having a few brewskies. i have a feeling we will end up at grande bay since we will be doing the last four nights at cannel bay anyway.

any recommendations on particular units? 1 br vs studio? location?

do you take a taxi from the ferry to GB?

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

You can walk if not much luggage, otherwise it would be about a minute cab ride. Have you considered Gallows which is on the ocean?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

i think gallows is quite a bit more expensive as in at least double GB.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

it's worth it. way less than Caneel.

9. Re: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay; House of Open Arms or Grande Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:15