We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ZoZo's bar for sunset

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ZoZo's bar for sunset

I was wondering how difficult it is to grab a seat at the bar for ZoZo's during sunset. We'll be in town for an entire week in October...any tips?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

Bar seats are for eating customers only. This came as a surprise to us during our first visit. If you would like to eat at the bar, make sure you call ahead as it is a popular option.

Everytime we visited Zozo's, we would get drinks in the lounge area of the bar and I am sure there was a waitstaff assigned to that area. After drinks, we would go downstairs for dinner.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

You can reserve a bar seat for dinner only. They do not allow folks just coming in for a drink to sit at the bar during sunset.

There is a small area behind the bar with a couple of seats, but the view is not as good, still a nice view but there are people in front of you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

This frustrates me, but I can understand their logic. I have always looked at the bar area of a restaurant with a "survival of the fittest" mentality and that they should never take reservations for the bar. It should be a spot for people to come in and roll the dice for a bar seat when they couldn't get a dinner reservation.

"Everytime we visited Zozo's, we would get drinks in the lounge area of the bar"...so you can still get just drinks up their for sunset, you just can't sit at the "bar"?

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

The view looks amazing from ZoZo's I just never can justify Italian food when on vacation in the islands. It just doesn't seem right to me.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

The bar is small and it is a bar at a fine dining restaurant, so it is not a place that people go to hang out, per se. It is the best seat in the house for the sunset and because of the very small size, I think they are using the space the best way possible.

Their food is not American Italian, no chicken Parm, etc.

It has italian influence.

Their pistascio crusted Mahi is one of my favorite things in the world to eat.

Check out their menu, I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

There is a lounge area a step or two up from the bar area. There are several groups of chairs and cocktail tables. Our group enjoys it, we like their drink menu and the view is good enough. Because the lounge area is elevated, you see over the top of the heads at the bar. I think we are cursed because we, over 8+ visits to Zozo's, never saw a great sunset, the weather always worked against us.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

Go to the Beach Bar, sit on the beach and enjoy!!!!!

That being said, we had dinner at Zozo's in Feb and it was delicious....we ate downstairs cause there were 7 of us...the bar was packed. I don't generally want Italian on vacation either but I gotta say, it was yummy!

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

The bar at Zozo's seats approximately 12 people in total. Sunset views are incredible, as is the food and the service. We go during the high season in February and make reservations a month in advance. You tell them sunset at the bar and they tell you the time. Try the Fettucine Carbonara appetizer! Calling this an italian restaurant is a misnomer. Calling sunset dinner at Zozo's bar a special night out is dead on correct.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

I would describe the menu as having a hint of Italian influence, the menu has seafood, beef, pork and vegetarian options but it in no way resembles a red sauce, mainland "Italian" restaurant.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
943 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ZoZo's bar for sunset

See my recent review below. Fully agree with previous posts/comments above.

“Awesome Dinner Once Again”

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Couldn't wait to get back to Zozo's this past December after dining there in November 2010. This year, we decided to make reservations at the bar (can make reservations one month in advance which is advised) and really glad we did. Booked earlier than usual (5:30pm) in order to see the sunset and it was an incredible evening. The views of the sunset were amazing, and after dark, the lights of St Thomas were really beautiful.

The food was excellent as usual (actually, one of the best restaurants on St. John). Started with 2 pasta appetizers which were both outstanding - homemade pappardelle with porcini white truffle cream sauce, and fettucini carbonara with salmon and shrimp. Both dinners were also amazing, including Osso Bucco with saffron risotto, and a pork chop with fontina and proscuitto. Finished with a light refreshing tiramisu.

We typically steer away from Italian restaurants when traveling, since we live in NJ and frequent excellent Italian restaurants in the NJ/NYC area, but Zozo's is an exception and stands out among the rest. Service was also excellent - the bar tender was our waiter and provided outstanding service during our entire meal.

Can't wait to get back to Zozo's on our next visit to St. John.

Visited December 2011