We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

Hopewell, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

We will be purchasing equipment to bring down. Any suggestions? Long fins or compact?

Thanks,

Jenny

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

If you are only going to use them for snorkeling, you will be fine with the smaller fins. If you want to use them for diving too, then go for longer ones. Go to a dive shop to be sure you are properly fitted for your mask. They are not one size fits all. I have a basic snorkel. Had a fancy one, with the purge valve & cover thingy to keep water from coming in at the top. Seals lasted 1 year (and I take care of my gear). I've been using my $2.00 snorkel for about 19 years.

Have a great trip!

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

if your very nearsighted get a mask with your prescription

I like the dry snorkel, the fancy one, helps keep the water out.

If you are not a strong swimmer, an inflatable snorkeling vest will keep you afloat and secure.

Sometimes I snorkel in area where when entering the water there are rocks and where the beaches are rocky. I use ankle high neoprene booties under my fins ( open heel) and find this protects my feet better. I like for Waterlemon, Leimeister, the far right at Francis Bay, Haulovers, but you do not need at most of the other areas.

The longer fins will make you go faster but the real compact are easier to transport and pack and are much lighter. The standard snorkeling fins are the ones with a closed heal and are in between the real compact ones and the long diver ones. They are good for most areas but you can not wear booties under them. I see most people using these kind of fins in all conditions.

new england
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

The most important thing is making sure your mask fits. If you don't have a local dive shop nearby, the folks at scubatoys.com are really helpful. (PHone # is on website.) Remember, you don't have to spend lots of money to get a mask that works great for you.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

If you get a snorkle vest (I have one as I can't swim worth a darn) then try to find one where the valve that you blow air into to inflate it does not run up close to your mouth. I find this very annoying when I am in the water (we LOVE to snorkle when at STJ!) and i can feel the top of the inlet valve rubbing against my cheek. In hindsite, I think I should have gotten a foam type vest or belt despite the room it would take up in my bags.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

A leaking mask is the worst thing. It will def. ruin your dive. I was lucky that the body glove masks that they sell at Sports Authority fit me very well. I happened to hit a sale and got one with a +1.5 perscription for about $15 or 20 bucks. My vision is good, but the slight correction in this mask really makes things jump out better under water.

Whatever mask you get will probably have a silicone seal. Clean it obsessively with dish soap to keep the sunscreen from building up and if you plan for it to last more than a couple of seasons, dont leave it in the harsh sun.

You dont need to spend alot, but making sure it fits is critical.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

When you purchase your mask it needs to be cleaned otherwise it will fog no matter what you do. They make mask scrub and sell it at dive shops or you can use toothpate. Regular toothpaste not gel. Scrub the inside of the mask with the toothpaste using your fingers, really scrub hard you can't hurt it. Rinse and do this at least one or two more times.

B.

bethesda, md
Level Contributor
417 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

A couple years ago we purchased new snorkels and fins while on SJ from Low Key watersports. We got the short fins because they work fine for the leisurely snorkeling we do and they fit in our carryons which was a bigger concern for us.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

We bring our masks and snorkels but just rent fins when we get where we're going. Avoids having to deal with them in luggage. I've always been able to find a pair of fins to rent that I'm satisfied with.

Hopewell, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

Thank you so much everyone for the advice. 11 days and counting. Can't wait!

10. Re: Snorkeling Equipment Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:16