We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

My husband and I will be in St. John from May 10th-17th. I'm SO excited that I can barely sleep. Unfortunately, we are on somewhat of a tight budget so we will be eating some of our meals at our condo rental but were wondering of some affordable options near Cruz Bay for when we do eat out. I recently read that May is one of St. John's more rainy months...what's the odds that it will rain everyday or most days while we are there? I got a little worried when I read that!

Thanks in advance,

Ashley

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

Candi's BBQ - It's a parked food truck on the left just before you get to Starfish Market

Uncle Joe's BBQ - in town. From the ferry dock follow the road left. Then follow your nose. About 2 minute walk from the dock.

(We like Candi's over Joe's. Sorry Joe)

Banana Deck

Beach Bar

Woody's

Limetree Inn (more expensive then others, but reasonable)

Can't help with the weather. They have been getting more rain than normal, but so have we. We were there last May 5-15th. It rained all day everyday except the day we arrived, the day we left and one day mid week. We will be there end of April/early May this year. Last year was the first trip in 20 years to be a wash out. We made the best to it and just snorkeled in the rain.

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

I have been on St John at least a dozen times in early May. I am returning again this year. It is not unusual to get passing showers but they are brief and don't ruin the day. It often rains hardest at night. I recall only one year, 2009, when we had rain of substance over more than one day, You should not be overly concerned. Remember it can be raining hard in Cruz Bay and be totally dry in Coral Bay. Maybe a local commentator on this board can be more informative.

For budget dining try Joes Barbeque in Cruz Bay. There is a small eat in area and you can order take out too. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
St. John
Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

PS: I just read the post of Bluewater about last year. I was there 5/2-5/9 and had a brief shower the afternoon we arrived with nothing but passing showers the rest of the week. Go figure. And, snorkeling in the rain is just as much fun!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

tnkbstr55 - Were you there when Trunk Bay & Cinnamon beaches were closed? They were closed a couple of days (black flags posted, BIG waves) during our stay but can't remember. I think it was a Friday & Saturday. Waterlemon was too rough as well. That is one of the highlights of our trips. We ended up hitting Francis & Maho most days because they are more sheltered. The nice day we had we went to Little Lameshur. We hadn't been there in years. Hardly anybody there. Spent the day and hiked the Yawzi Point trail.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

I was skunked by the rain in May in 2009. The year before in May the weather was perfect. As you read it is one of the rainiest months. Since 2009, we have gone in April and have lucked out, but that doesn't mean it will be OK this year. This is the chance we all take when going to St John at a less expensive time.

The outdoor activities are what makes St John special and when it rains you can not partake in them the way we all want to do. But its so beautiful that its worth going. You can not depend on the weather forecasts so try not to worry too much.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

In the 7 years I have lived on St John I have experienced 7-10 days of solid cloud cover and rain in May or June and again in October or November so for 50 out of the 60 days (twice per year) the weather will be perfect but it sucks to be here as a visitor if your vacation is during those 7-10 days :( Unfortunately you never know what month or what days so you take your chances when booking during those months.

Pia

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

Bluewater, I arrived on a Sunday, I think 5/2, and there was a storm that passed followed by pretty nice weather the rest of the week. I was staying at Caneel/Turtle Bay and do remember seeing wave action much larger than I had seen in past years. Otherwise we did the Waterlemon snorkel without too much current. It was just a little more murky.

Hey, you're in the tropics and it rains from time to time. Even in 2009, with heavy rains (we arrived the day after a 13" rainfall) during the week, we still had a great time. I don't think back on that trip as having been ruined. You just go in other directions. St John is a great place to be even in the rain...isn't that why we keep going back?

To SmashleyM: don't worry about the weather just enjoy this very special place.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

Well, my wife and I will be there the 12th-19th... We did May of '09 and we only had one day truly wash out. Besides that we had a few passing storms but were always able to spend good time at the beaches.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! The week of rain in 2009 was our first trip, and we've still been back twice and coming again soon. I hope it's nice, but it it's not nice, it's still nice (if you get my gist). I'm hoping for good weather in April!

To the topic of cheap food, that's all we eat, so.....

Candie's Ribs will be our first stop and we'll go at least one more time this trip. Her food is terrific, her service is sweet and she's never heard of island time,apparently. She moves like she's in the City!!!

Hercules Pate across from the Lumberyard complex has delicious pate made with chicken or saltfish and maybe other options. They're maybe $2-3 each. They have curries on Friday nights, I think, as well.

Sogos, next to Sutton's car rental has very reasonable meals, West Indian and terrific burgers if your hubby's afraid of food he's never seen before ;)

P&P is a new one on the road past Gallows Point, that we're going to hit up this trip for the first time. You'll have to research here or VIOL to find out how to get there and what days.

Did Shela's Pot reopen? TONS of food for DIRT cheap, and delicious!

Sam and Jack's Deli in the Starfish complex makes unbelievable sandwiches loaded with delish ingredients, about $9/sandwich. Much better than deli grotto, in my opinion. Sadly, they do not sell crack bars, but they DO sell Tiramisu <3

We bring our own meats butter cheese from home in a backpack cooler. Stop at Food Choice of whatever, on the way to the car barge for bread and milk and eggs and veggies. We eat breakfast and dinner in. Lunch and snacks we eat out.

I hope someone answers about Shela's Pot

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget dining options in Cruz Bay and weather in May

I'm with Pia about the rain. Except I remember the rain being in either April or May and then again in October or November. There is just no way you can predict it though. And the rest of these months is usually great!

For cheap eats, Joe's Rum Hut/Pizza in Wharfside is great. They have some great daily specials, usually $10 or less, and huge portions. They also have a slice and a soda for $4 (one of the best deals on island).

Cafe Livin (formerly Mojo) in Wharfside has some really great food as well. If you haven't checked them out for dinner, do it! I had one of the best meals I've ever had last week there for dinner. Very reasonably prices and just really really good.

Near the Westin, at St. John Market, they have a hot deli case and serve lunch. The food is good, large plate is under $10, and the portions are large. They also usually have some West Indian style food, so it's a great opportunity to check out some of the local favorites.

Across the street from the St. John Market there is a little complex. On the ground level there is a "Rasta-urant" that has some really good vegetarian food. Good prices, excellent food.

Enjoy!!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!