We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

Living in Southern California and having been to Hawaii a number of times, my idea of big waves is overhead sets and strong rip currents that you cannot swim against. I've been reading about 'large waves" on St. John. What are we talking about? Six to eight foot sets with occasional double overhead, or waist high and a nuisance?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

Big enough to knock you down. So yes, a nuisance when they happen. Most of the time it's very calm. If the waves are up at one beach, just go to another. Last May, Cinnamon & Trunk were closed a couple of days of our trip. We went to Francis & Maho and they were both calm.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

Nothing like you are used to in CA or Hawaii unless there is a hurricane.

B.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
403 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

Largest wave I saw was abt. 8 inches...on both sides of the island. Calm, no boogie boards here from what I saw in Feb. of this year.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

There are practically no shores with surfable waves, because even when the swells are large, they only break onshore. The north shore, with most of the swimming beaches, is protected from the open Atlantic to a degree by other islands. It does get brief periods of high surf in the winter, but surfing is only at Cinnamon Bay, with a reef that breaks offshore, and out at Johnson Reef, well offshore. The south shore is more open to the constant easterly swell of the Caribbean, and has a couple of marginal spots off of reef-fringed beaches. Tortola, with no protection from the open Atlantic on the north side, is the place people go to surf.

Many people do get injured in the shore breaks on St John every winter, especially bodysurfing. Height? Four ft. is big.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

Many people do get injured in the shore breaks on St John every winter, especially bodysurfing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to mention this too. The north shore waves, while not high, pound and churn and have a powerful under current that can pull your feet right out from underneath you.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

We'll be on St. John during the first week of November. We're hoping for bathtub conditions so that we can snorkel. So when do the winter swells arrive?

7. Re: big waves on St. John? what is "big"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:17